Re-print Limited Use Recommend that is Active

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
mwsuman

Re-print Limited Use Recommend that is Active

Post by mwsuman »

One of our youth let his recommend go through the wash. It is still valid, but needs to be printed again. When I tried to print, it didn't have a Print button, but just an "Issue Recommend" button. Are we intentionally not allowed to re-print an active recommend? Even if I have the original and it is shredded?

I suppose some workarounds could be to save the PDF for later printing. Or simply print multiple copies at the time of issuance.
mfmohlma

Re: Re-print Limited Use Recommend that is Active

Post by mfmohlma »

As far as I have seen, you can only issue new Limited Use Recommends. I wouldn't recommend (no pun intended) either of your suggested workarounds.
mevans

Post by mevans »

My full-use recommend recently went through the wash. I got a new one.
croftr

Post by croftr »

Our Bishop feels obligated to conduct a new interview if a new recommend is issued, since the new recommend issue starts the clock over. This added burden of time is significant in our ward so we are doing what you mention and either printing multiple copies to store in a secure cabinet or saving a pdf copy. Is anyone aware of a policy that would discourage that? I can't come up with reasons not to do it, but also reasons to use this work around. Just looking for a policy or reference?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You could try laminating the recommends.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
nikk3hi3tala

Post by nikk3hi3tala »

I think it is a good thing if the youth need to have a new interview if they have destroyed their recommend. They should learn to keep better care of it.
pclarine

Post by pclarine »

Re interviewing all the time is just not practical. Adding a interview to "teach them a lesson" is like a punishment. I don't understand why this has to be so difficult. There should simply be a reissue button.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

pclarine wrote:Re interviewing all the time is just not practical.
How is it done for adults that lose their recommend?
pclarine wrote:Adding a interview to "teach them a lesson" is like a punishment.
I prefer the word "consequences" as being more accurate.
pclarine wrote:I don't understand why this has to be so difficult. There should simply be a reissue button.
You'll have to talk to your immediate presiding authority. The developers have no say. This is a public forum in a church that isn't run by democracy. Only the leaders at Church Headquarters can make the change.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Rebolloso

Post by Rebolloso »

Our large youth group go to the temple every month and this lost recommend issue always seems to be realized only on the day of going to the temple. Having to do an interview and reprint a new recomend is not practical when getting on time and through the session with a large group is already a challenge.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Rebolloso wrote:Our large youth group go to the temple every month and this lost recommend issue always seems to be realized only on the day of going to the temple. Having to do an interview and reprint a new recomend is not practical when getting on time and through the session with a large group is already a challenge.
You could post feedback on LDS.org, but this might be something you could request your stake president to bring up in his coordinating council.

I remember (many years ago) going with a priesthood group to the temple over an hour away and realizing when I arrived there that I left my recommend at home. I spent the time (while they were in an endowment session) in the temple lobby reading the scriptures and contemplating the consequence of my poor planning. My closest temple is now over 4 hours away, but I did learn to verify my recommend is "present and accounted" for in time to address it if needed before I depart. My opinion only: Sometimes shielding our youth from the consequences of their actions does them a disservice in life.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”