Can't assign clerk role?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can't assign clerk role?

Post by russellhltn »

chriswoodut wrote:I ended up removing all the clerk callings thinking the same thing but the problem persisted.
Yeah, that sounds like a bug.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
chrisgrant

Post by chrisgrant »

The inconvenience of requiring two signatures on the same computer at the same time is multiplied substantially by the fact that LCR is so often sluggish to downright unusable on Sundays, when individuals with the authority to sign off on these things are naturally present at the same place. This must be especially inconvenient for geographically large stakes where a special trip in to the stake center on weekdays is a substantial time sink.
aplucinik

Post by aplucinik »

I am a stake clerk and I found this same issue today when trying to give someone a calling as a counselor in a ward bishopric. A message popped up that two authorized users are required to assign the calling due to the calling's access to sensitive and confidential member information. The ward clerk and membership clerk have the same issue. So I assume this will be the case for any bishopric or stake presidency callings including clerk callings.
Allan Plucinik
Stake Clerk
Colorado Springs, CO
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I thought this conversation was interesting so I thought I'd check out where and when this might have changed: It appears that the release in May added this functionality. In my experience what NEVER happens is that we make the necessary adjustments when these kinds of instructions come out in the clerk community. As a former Stake clerk, and had I read this message, I'd have put this as an agenda item in a stake presidency meeting. The result of that discussion would've been an immediate change in how the two kids of callings below were done. Explicit instructions would've gone out to all Bishoprics and Clerks emphasizing the Release Notes and providing them several scenarios and how they would best be implemented.

I guess I'm just one that really likes that the church is designing the system so that stake and ward leaders can't just do whatever they want. How many High Councilmen throughout the church have been added as clerks, for some reason or other and have access to and have access to a ton of things that they don't need. All because some SP gave that HC an assignment that isn't in their pervue and nobody pushed back and said, well, really that should be done by X because I don't have the access, etc...

We as ward and stake leaders need to adjust how we do things. If it means calling a couple more clerks than you normally have because someone has a heavy travel schedule (or distance, etc), then do it. If it means that a trigger needs to be added to a process when calling someone that has access to finances and callings, then make the change.

Release 4.5
Date Released: May 6, 2019

New or Enhanced Functionality

Finance Related
Continued rollout of expense features.
Introduced electronic payments for units, including electronic capture of receipts.
Introduced ability for members to add their bank account in Online Donations for reimbursements for ward expenses.
Added the ability for units to transfer funds internally and to other units in their country.
Issues Resolved
Fixed a bug that was sending transfers to headquarters for approval.

Membership Related
Limited who can view birth dates and ages to comply with the data privacy policy.
Added Church-service missionaries to the Full-Time Missionary screen.
To better protect the sacred funds of the Church and comply with audit standards, leaders will now be required to have another leader dual-authorize when recording callings that:
Have access to finances.
Can record other callings.

Modified the Child Record form to include a new privacy statement.
Added the ability to upload parental or guardian consent forms for:
Creating a membership record for an individual who is 17 years old or younger and not currently married.
Recording the baptism and confirmation of an individual who is 17 years old or younger and not currently married.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

johnshaw wrote:To better protect the sacred funds of the Church and comply with audit standards, leaders will now be required to have another leader dual-authorize when recording callings that:
Have access to finances.
Can record other callings.
If I remember correctly, other leaders besides clerks are able to record callings within their organization – for example, a Relief Society president. Does the same dual-authorization process apply there?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sbradshaw wrote:If I remember correctly, other leaders besides clerks are able to record callings within their organization – for example, a Relief Society president. Does the same dual-authorization process apply there?
Dual authorization only applies to callings with rights to financial information. So basically bishopric, ward clerk, assistant ward clerk and assistant ward clerk-finance at the ward level.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

My stake clerk tells me that he has not yet been required to enter dual authorization when installing a new bishopric.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jstephen

Post by jstephen »

I am a stake clerk and tried to enter a new executive secretary for one of our wards the other day. I was at home at the time, because I had been gone all day Sunday, so just tried to do it from my laptop, which has never been a problem before. It came up with the dual authorization request, so I could not complete it.

Why would the ward executive secretary require dual authorization, they have nothing to do with finances?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jstephen wrote:Why would the ward executive secretary require dual authorization, they have nothing to do with finances?
See this post, they're capable of putting someone in that position.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”