Transfer excess ward mission funds to headquarters

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
bamamoser

Transfer excess ward mission funds to headquarters

Postby bamamoser » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:05 am

The transfer fund function in finance of LCR says that we can transfer excess ward mission funds to headquarters. Every time I try it says "Transfer must have at least one To line"

The to line I select "Transfer out of unit..." and then "Headquarters"

What am I missing?

eblood66

Re: Transfer excess ward mission funds to headquarters

Postby eblood66 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:13 am

Both the transfer page and the associated Help Center article indicate that you can send excess funds to headquarters but neither indicate how to do it. I tried 'Headquarters', 'Church Headquarters', 'Global Service Center' and none appear to be valid unit names for this purpose. I even tried looking up the unit number of the missionary department and trying it but that didn't work either.

So either it isn't actually supported or there is some specific name that has to be used that isn't obvious. Your best bet is probably to contact the global service center and see if they know or can find out.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Is it possible that only the stake is able to make that transfer? I would expect wards to send funds to the stake, and then for the stake to send them on if the stake is not currently in need of funds for missionaries in other wards or branches.

eblood66

Postby eblood66 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:56 pm

Actually, you're right. I should have read the text on the transfer page more carefully. It does say that stakes and districts can transfer to headquarters. It does not mention wards or branches in that statement.

johnshaw

Postby johnshaw » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:13 am

In my experience, these funds roll up to the stake and the stake funds roll up to CHQ. The money from Ward Missionary excess funds rolled up from Wards and Stakes become General Missionary Fund monies. I'd hope that a ward/stake will use excess funds to help supplement local needs, prior to sending those funds up. I've lived in many stakes where a few ward were 'heavy' excess monies wards and that some wards struggled.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

davesudweeks

Postby davesudweeks » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:31 am

johnshaw wrote:I've lived in many stakes where a few ward were 'heavy' excess monies wards and that some wards struggled.

Our current stake president occasionally instructs bishops and clerks in wards in his stake to transfer a set amount of ward missionary funds to other wards as needed. Our ward has been the donor of the funds and the recipient of the funds on different occasions. It is a lot easier now that we can do a ward-to-ward transfer. His position allows him to see the status of all the wards in the stake and direct adjustments as appropriate.

chriswoodut

Postby chriswoodut » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:30 am

Earlier this year our ward had excess money. The handbook says to send it to the stake, as others have mentioned. The stake said they don't need it so send it to HQ. I called HQ and they gave me the address and info to send a physical check.

As an aside, our stake has recently come back to all the wards and asked how much excess they have. The stake clerk was then going to call HQ and request that HQ transfer the amounts from the wards to HQ. So, seems there's different approaches being taken. I believe wards can't use the system to 'transfer' to the stake missionary fund. It ends up in the stake's other account, or something like that.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:04 pm

chriswoodut wrote:I believe wards can't use the system to 'transfer' to the stake missionary fund. It ends up in the stake's other account, or something like that.

I just tested the system and it appears funds can be transferred from a ward's Ward Missionary Fund into the stake's Ward Missionary Fund (strange name for the stake missionary account). At least it appears selecting something else besides the stake Other account is available. I didn't complete the transfer so I don't know what happens once the transaction is saved.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center?

chriswoodut

Postby chriswoodut » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:14 pm

jdlessley wrote:
chriswoodut wrote:I believe wards can't use the system to 'transfer' to the stake missionary fund. It ends up in the stake's other account, or something like that.

I just tested the system and it appears funds can be transferred from a ward's Ward Missionary Fund into the stake's Ward Missionary Fund (strange name for the stake missionary account). At least it appears selecting something else besides the stake Other account is available. I didn't complete the transfer so I don't know what happens once the transaction is saved.

Good to know. Someone from a stake was on here complaining about a transfer from a ward and I don't remember the details. I wonder why our stake is doing it the hard way.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:59 pm

chriswoodut wrote:Good to know. Someone from a stake was on here complaining about a transfer from a ward and I don't remember the details. I wonder why our stake is doing it the hard way.

I believe that was a recent change. Their gripe WAS valid not that long ago.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”