Approval to Change Callings

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
dsalomons

Approval to Change Callings

Post by dsalomons »

There was a recent change that requires that a member of the Stake Presidency provide credentials to save changes to callings that have access to certain types of sensitive information. I can understand that this is an additional layer against preventing mistakes and fraud however the user experience is not convenient. I would suggest that the Stake Clerk be allowed to save the change and it go into an approval queue that can be approved when the Stake Presidency member is available to do so. With the current UX we now need to coordinate a time that we can be in the same room and these calling changes may linger for days/weeks until this happens.
chrisgrant

Re: Approval to Change Callings

Post by chrisgrant »

Amen! This new policy feels like it has greatly increased the mileage I put on my car driving to meet an authorized person who can type in his authorization on my computer.

But, as someone else will point out if I don't, it's best to take your recommendation somewhere besides this forum, which is apparently not monitored by decision makers. Better to use the "Do You Have Feedback on This Page?" link at the bottom of the page where you change callings.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dsalomons wrote:I would suggest that the Stake Clerk be allowed to save the change and it go into an approval queue that can be approved when the Stake Presidency member is available to do so.
You can send feedback with your recommendation using the feedback link at the bottom of the page.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dsalomons

Post by dsalomons »

chrisgrant wrote: But, as someone else will point out if I don't, it's best to take your recommendation somewhere besides this forum, which is apparently not monitored by decision makers. Better to use the "Do You Have Feedback on This Page?" link at the bottom of the page where you change callings.
Yah I should probably do that too. I'd like to think that the product team actually reads these forums. I mean if I was a product manager on LCR I definitely would be.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dsalomons wrote:I'd like to think that the product team actually reads these forums. I mean if I was a product manager on LCR I definitely would be.
After you have been here a while, you will probably notice that there are a few product managers that do read this forum. However keep in mind that product team is a misnomer, that the product manager is probably also the product engineer, the project QA, the project coder, and the project executive assistant. And this might not be his or her only project either.

I imagine that they would all like to be able to follow the forum. But feedback is the validated, dependable way to get the word back to the developers. (Or maybe that word shouldn't have an S, either.) [smile]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

And let's not forget that the project manager has to take it up with the power that be (usually the Priesthood Department), for approval as well as prioritizing the implementation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bretep

Post by bretep »

An unintended effect this will have is the sharing of usernames and passwords and a simple call/sms to get the 2FA code.

I’ve seen this play out in corporations. People will always find a work around.

Make the process simple, as suggested above, and security will increase not decrease.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

bretep wrote:An unintended effect this will have is the sharing of usernames and passwords and a simple call/sms to get the 2FA code.

I’ve seen this play out in corporations. People will always find a work around.

Make the process simple, as suggested above, and security will increase not decrease.
2nd this! I have spent my entire civilian career in quality and over half my National Guard career in safety. We typically make it harder to do the right thing than it is to do the wrong thing and then wonder why people do the wrong thing...

Boggles my mind...

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”