Creating a new Sunday School Class on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
rculatta

Creating a new Sunday School Class on LCR

Post by rculatta »

I'm trying to add a new sunday school class. I would assume there would be an "add class" option under "options" on the Sunday School screen, but it's not there. It allows me to split a class, but I don't want to split an existing class. What am I missing?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Creating a new Sunday School Class on LCR

Post by russellhltn »

I would consult the Handbook on what you're trying to do. I don't think you're allowed to create a whole new class will all new curriculum. But you could split an existing class by size, language, for singles, etc.

Temple Prep is to be held "outside of Sunday meetings" and I don't think there's a Family History Sunday School class anymore.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rculatta

Post by rculatta »

Thanks - just to be clear, by adding a class I don't mean making up a new curriculum :). We have some classes that are too big and I want to redistribute the kids. I could use 'split class', and then rename both classes them and then move the students around - but it would be much easier to just be able to create a new class and then load the right students into it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure how "new" is less work than "split". However, it appears you don't have a choice.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

rculatta wrote:Thanks - just to be clear, by adding a class I don't mean making up a new curriculum :). We have some classes that are too big and I want to redistribute the kids. I could use 'split class', and then rename both classes them and then move the students around - but it would be much easier to just be able to create a new class and then load the right students into it.
That's exactly what split class is used for. You take a class that is too big and split it, redistributing the class members into the (now) two classes.
rculatta

Post by rculatta »

Thanks all!
ensignm

Post by ensignm »

Can someone tell me how to assign youth to a Sunday school class AND how to eliminate a class assignment? We have a missionary out that is still showing assigned to a 16 year old class!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ensignm wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:59 am Can someone tell me how to assign youth to a Sunday school class AND how to eliminate a class assignment? We have a missionary out that is still showing assigned to a 16 year old class!
Sunday School classes are, by default, set up and youth assigned by age. When the age criterion for a class is active then the youth will be moved automatically by the system on 1 January the youth will turn the age during the year for that class. But when a youth is assigned manually the age criterion is deactivated for that youth. The youth must now be manually moved to another class when appropriate. This is done by going to the class the youth is assigned, selecting the 'Members' tab, checking the box next to the youth name, clicking the 'Move to' button at the top of the class list, and selecting the new class from the list available.

I suspect the missionary still in the Course 16 class was manually moved to that class. He/She can be manually moved to, say, the Gospel Doctrine class by selecting LCR > Organizations > Sunday School > Course 16, select 'Members' tab, check the box next to their name, click the 'Move to' button at the top of the class list in the 'Members' tab, and select 'Gospel Doctrine' from the list.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Isn't there a way to reset a member to "automatic". (Not that it makes much of a difference now that they're an adult.)

As for the classes, you can split an existing one, but I don't think you can create one from scratch.

ensignm

Post by ensignm »

Thank you for the quick and detailed reply!

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”