Can't find meeting location for Geoje Family Branch

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
prconnor

Can't find meeting location for Geoje Family Branch

Post by prconnor »

Hello,

I am searching for a meeting location where I will now be living in Okpo, Geoje, South Korea.

When I enter this as a search term in maps I see three households in close proximity to me that all show membership in the Geoje Family Branch, which meets at 10:00am and has a last name listed for Branch President, but does not show location. Zooming out I can see multiple buildings between 1-2 hours driving distance from Okpo, none of which identify themselves as the meeting place for the Geoje Family Branch.

Please assist in finding the correct meetinghouse location, or contacting the Branch President.
mevans

Re: Can't find meeting location for Geoje Family Branch

Post by mevans »

Try searching from mormon.org. Choose Visit > Find a Church and enter your location. See if it gives you better information than the maps tool.
prconnor

Post by prconnor »

mevans wrote:Try searching from mormon.org. Choose Visit > Find a Church and enter your location. See if it gives you better information than the maps tool.
Thank you for your reply.

It seems the mormon.org tool points back to the same application as the maps on lds.org. Both provide the same information, three households in close proximity to each other and to where I am, but no building indicated.

Interesting that it shows "Assigned Residential Ward (Geoje Branch)". I had thought that this indicated a place where a member of the branch was living, and that resident locations was only viewable by people who were members of that unit. I am able to see this information signed into lds.org while assigned to a different unit, as well as on Mormon.org where I am not signed in as a member at all; I must misunderstand what "Assigned Residential Ward (Geoje Branch)" means.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

Being a branch, it's very likely this is not a regular church building. I looked it up on CDOL. The address listed there is:

4F Daesungbuilding
872-10 Gohyeon-dong
Geoje-si
Gyeongsangnam-do 656-802
South Korea

and meetinghouse phone number listed is:
+82 55-636-8856

CDOL also lists the name and phone numbers of the branch president, but I would prefer not to post that on an open forum. If you need more help, send me a private message and I can email the branch president with your contact information so he can contact you.

In the mean time, we still should try to figure out why the website is not being very helpful. It's possible that the building location has not been verified in the map application. The branch clerk can take care of that, so once prconner finds the branch, they should mention this to the clerk.

I hope this helps.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Have you checked the checkbox for "Meetinghouses" in the Facilities layer of the "Map Layers" tool? When it is unchecked only your home ward meetinghouse location is displayed. Map Layers is the icon that looks like a stack of papers or layers to the left of the globe icon in the Maps toolbar.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
prconnor

Post by prconnor »

4F Daesungbuilding
872-10 Gohyeon-dong
Geoje-si
Gyeongsangnam-do 656-802
South Korea

and meetinghouse phone number listed is:
+82 55-636-8856
This was it! Thank you very much for your assistance. It was great to find the meeting this week.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

No problem. I'm glad I could help.

Like I said, I would encourage you to mention to the clerk that he might need to do something about getting the meetinghouse location correct on the map so this doesn't happen to someone else. Unless the procedure has changed, It could be as simple as moving the meetinghouse location in the map application (I had to do that for ours, although it was only a slight move). If he does that, it still need to be verified by someone at the church. It might take a while to take affect.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”