Meetinghouse locator map lookup seriously broken.

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

aebrown wrote:There was no reason to move their pin just before transferring the record, since pin locations get reset when a record is moved. What this shows us is that the other ward clerk has not moved the pin to match the actual location. He really needs to do now what you did just before you transferred the record out.

You are correct, and I knew I did not need to move the pin before transferring the record. I took that extra step just to see what would happen to it as a result of the transfer (I used the Boundary Change option rather then the Move Out option since LDS Maps already had them incorrectly in our ward). I hoped they would stay in the "Verified" location but, alas, the system re-set them to the wrong location on the map.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

crislapi wrote:Reiterating what has already been said, it comes down to 1) either the program not recognizing the address, so it is just going off the city and/or zip or 2) There is confusion somewhere on what the boundaries really are. Can you actually see the street/intersection on the map? If you can see ward boundaries, is the address inside the correct boundaries but the system is telling you it is another?

I will use the actual data I was given by the ward clerk who moved the family. Their new address is 340W 200S, Richfield, Utah. When that address is put into the locator function the response is "No exact match found". By going down the options you can select "View a related area" with Richfield being one of the choices. This brings up the map which shows the "family icon" as located somewhere around Main Street and 250 North which puts the family in Richfield 7th Ward. However, by moving the "family icon" to 340W 200S it gives the unit the family belongs to as Richfield 4th Ward (which is the ward the family now resides in). So back to my original question - is this something we have to live with or is there something askew with the program? I would think inputting an exact N/S/E/W street address in Utah would give a specific location but apparently that is not the case.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

FFRsqpilot wrote:Their new address is 340W 200S, Richfield, Utah.
For kicks and grins, try "340 W 200 S" as that is what the USPS tool comes back with as the standardized address.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

RussellHltn wrote:For kicks and grins, try "340 W 200 S" as that is what the USPS tool comes back with as the standardized address.
Didn't work. maps.google.com finds it but maps.lds.org does not.
FFRsqpilot wrote:So back to my original question - is this something we have to live with or is there something askew with the program? I would think inputting an exact N/S/E/W street address in Utah would give a specific location but apparently that is not the case.
As you can tell from the other replies, by and large this system works just fine for the majority of cases. You have found an instance where it appears to not be working. I guess you have to live with it until you are willing to report it using the feedback link I provided earlier. We can verify that it doesn't work for us either, but we have no power to do anything about it.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:For kicks and grins, try "340 W 200 S" as that is what the USPS tool comes back with as the standardized address.
What's even more ironic is that if you search for the address of the meetinghouse (159 N 400 W), formatted exactly as it is displayed by the LDS Maps system, it can't be found either.

So it's not just a matter of formatting. There's something odd about the way LDS Maps treats Richfield's addresses. I can enter addresses formatted the exact same way in my neighborhood in a different Utah city, and they work just fine.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”