Non English and multi-language units.

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
ggllbb

Non English and multi-language units.

Post by ggllbb »

I am a councilor in a multi-language branch, English and Spanish about 3 to 1. One of my biggest concerns is to provide for all our members equally and not limit anything for our Spanish speaking members. Some of them understand little or no English.

First, what are the plans for language support? It looks like the generic parts of the website show in other langauges when selected, but not the lesson itself.

Second, am I going to be able to present the lessons, including those not in the regular manual, in two different languages?

We actually do have a separate Gospel Doctrine class with Spanish speaking teachers, but I haven't set up a separate class for that in the application.

To any developer that might see this, I don't know how multi-language might be implemented, but I would greatly appreciate some thought given to this.
mstauff

Post by mstauff »

It's similar to how calendar and directory work. If a user changes their language all the static portions of the page are changed, but the user created content (in this case the lessons and events) are not affected. The curriculum language is determined by the user that creates the courses. You can create some courses in english, then change your language and create other courses in spanish. There's not currently any way to have a single class with a spanish & english manual and lessons.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

I tried that, and it would work for manually typed in lessons, but the list from the manual is in English. Hence, my first question.
mstauff

Post by mstauff »

If I set my language to English then choose Manage Class Schedules -> Add Class I see the English manuals. If I then change my language to Spanish then go Manage -> Add I see manuals in Spanish. The manuals/lessons don't change on any existing classes, but I do get the different lists for new classes. I'm not sure what might be different in your case.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

That works. I should have figured that out myself. Thanks.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”