Ward Newsletter Won't Stop Refreshing

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
mmarx

Ward Newsletter Won't Stop Refreshing

Post by mmarx »

Our Ward has been using the Ward Newsletter now for several weeks. During this time on several occasions when I go to the Newsletter page it keeps refreshing nonstop until I close out of it. I've had several Ward Members mention that the same thing has been happening to them. Is this a bug? If so, when will it be fixed?
mmarx

Newsletter either keeps refreshing or won't upload

Post by mmarx »

I also noticed that on some computers the Newsletter keeps refreshing over and over again and on other computers it just never comes up (the loading button with the spinning wheel just stays in place).

Is anyone there to help me?
mmarx

Post by mmarx »

Okay. I can recreate the problem. As long as I go to the login screen first and after I'm logged in go to Newsletter than everything is fine. However, if I go directly to Newsletter without logging in, the screen gets stuck. The same thing happens if I log out of the system from the Newsletter. Can you fix this?
mevans

Post by mevans »

When you go directly to the newsletter without first logging in, do you first get the login screen and then the screen gets stuck after you've loggedin, or is the first thing you see a stuck screen?
mmarx

Post by mmarx »

The first thing I get is a stuck screen. I don't make it to the login screen.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Which browser are you using? Have you tried a different browser? Have you tried clearing your browser's cache?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mmarx

Post by mmarx »

I am using Internet Explorer 8, Internet Explorer 9, and Firefox 3. I have tried clearing out the cache from each of these 3 computers. It didn't fix my problem.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I'm able to duplicate the problem, too.
  • Go to lds.org (do not sign in yet).
  • Choose Tools/Newsletter
  • Eternal spinning ball
I did this on Mac Safari, Mac Firefox, Mac Chrome; all gave the same result.

If I first sign in and then go to the newsletter, everything works fine.

I'm not that familiar with Firebug, but oddly, it looks like it it's getting hung up trying to download the ldsicon.ttf font -- twice.

Here's the URL:
https://edge.ldscdn.org/ml/ldsorg/fonts ... dsicon.ttf

I'm able to download it to my computer and open it outside of the web page, but Firebug shows that it hasn't downloaded. It doesn't even show an IP address.

If I go to the lds.org home page, Firebug shows an aborted download of a web font:
https://edge.ldscdn.org/fonts/sorts-mil ... bfont.woff
In this case I see an IP address

I think the font stuff from ldscdn.org might be misleading, but I thought I'd include it, just in case it's a clue.

What seems apparent is that it's going to the newsletter page. The URL of the eternal spinning ball page is for the newsletter. I'm not familiar with the LDS technology stack, so I'm not sure how it's implemented. With a little bit of poking around, I see that some JavaScript seems to be returning the HTML page for single sign-on, but somehow the page isn't going to that. I don't have more time to look at it at the moment, but I'd guess that the problem lies on whatever page is returned when you choose Tools/Newsletter.
kenwjennings

Post by kenwjennings »

We've been having the same problem...I can duplicate in both Chrome and Firefox. Sign in first, Newsletter works fine. Go directly to Newsletter from an unlogged-in state, and you get either an endless reload cycle or an endless "Loading" circle.

This is actually an issue in our stake, since we're trying to convert people to the online Newsletter, and sending a direct link would be much easier than describing a process (go to lds.org, Sign in, THEN select Newsletter in the Sign In/Tools menu).
mmarx

Post by mmarx »

Our ward is also trying to convert people to the website and we also would like to provide a direct link from an email to the newsletter to make it easier for members to get there.

This is a big issue for us. Any ideas when it will be fixed?

Return to “Newsletter”