Page 1 of 2

Language change

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:24 am
by lloyd.gloekler
On Newsletter only, the default language is set to German and I need it in English. Have used the language link at bottom of newsletter page, select English, no change.

Thank you for your help,
Lloyd Gloekler

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:29 pm
by russellhltn
Is the language in the URL? You can change it there. That will get you around the problem.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:04 pm
by mevans
Where do you live? Are you in a German-speaking country? Are your records in a German-speaking stake or branch? Is the operating system on your computer in German?

I'm not certain what drives the language choice on all the church sites. There are frequently reported problems with church web sites appearing in Spanish.

Re: Language change

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:51 am
by davidpurser
I too am having problems with language change in Newsletter. I am in the UK and my default English changes to French when I select "Newsletter". I can change the default back, but then it changes to French again when I return to Newsletter.
This happens most times - but not every time, when I am on our laptop. When I am on our desktop machine there appears to be no problem!

Re: Language change

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:19 am
by techgy
davidpurser wrote:I too am having problems with language change in Newsletter. I am in the UK and my default English changes to French when I select "Newsletter". I can change the default back, but then it changes to French again when I return to Newsletter.
I first noticed this about 15 minutes ago, when I signed into my LDS account and then went to the Newsletter. It came up in SPAnish. The designator at the end of the URL for the newsletter was "SPA". So I switched it back to "ENG". As a further test, I cleared the browser (FF) cache, exited the browser and then came back and repeated the same steps, with the same results. I also confirmed that my choice of language is ENGlish in my LDS account.

Re: Language change

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:35 pm
by jdlessley
techgy wrote:As a further test, I cleared the browser (FF) cache, exited the browser and then came back and repeated the same steps, with the same results.

I think you may also need to delete cookies.

Re: Language change

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:54 pm
by techgy
jdlessley wrote:
techgy wrote:As a further test, I cleared the browser (FF) cache, exited the browser and then came back and repeated the same steps, with the same results.

I think you may also need to delete cookies.
I always clear cookies when I leave the browser. This didn't make any difference. The problem only appears when using the Newsletter.

Re: Language change

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:29 pm
by gregwanderson
Same problem for me today on an iPad using Safari. My default language is English. The tools are all in English except for the newsletter. Going to the newsletter switches things to Spanish. If I shut down the browser and return then I'm back to English. If I try the newsletter again I'm back to Spanish.

When I go home I'll see what it does on another computer/operating system.

Re: Language change

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:24 pm
by mmkids6
A am continously having the problem, but reading all the responses does not tell me there is a permanent fix or not, or if there is a bug in the program. Please advise.

Re: Language change

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:41 am
by 1968leocomeeatabite
We had this problem at a recent training. We were training all our presidencies at our Family History Library. Each participant had a computer and though we would go in and change the language to English. The language would go back to I think mostly Spanish & German. However the body of the news letters that was created was still in the language it was created in. (English) In General I have an idea that this could be possibly associated with when lds.org is experiencing high traffic times. It does not seem to happen as much on my computer at home or at expected low user times. Last Sunday we held two different training sessions. One at 4-5:15 P.M. the next one at 5:30-7:00 P.M. The 1st session we had a lot of problems with getting into lds.org. toward the end of that session many of the participants could get in and see the news letter but it was in other languages. The next session we had much better luck getting into lds.org. but the language problem was still present.