QR Codes and On-Line Ward Bulletins

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
milleric

QR Codes and On-Line Ward Bulletins

Postby milleric » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:25 am

I am in a bishopric for a college YSA Ward. I have responsibility over the weekly ward bulletin. I have put together a system whereby I can create a QR code that is printed out and can be posted near the entrance to our sacrament meeting room. Students can just scan the QR code and pull up a Google Doc of the ward bulletin on their phone/device. I have beta tested this but have not deployed it yet in sacrament meeting. I have a few questions? Has anyone tried that before? Is there any reason the Church would not want this type of approach. I still plan to print out maybe 30 "hard copy" bulletins for those who prefer them (typically I would print out 120). Thoughts? Ideas? Pros/Cons?

sbradshaw

Re: QR Codes and On-Line Ward Bulletins

Postby sbradshaw » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Someone in the building where my ward meets has done something similar. The QR code takes you here: http://abenjaminperkins.com/

There are some thoughts of how this could be done in this thread: Electronic Church Program

Ultimately, I think it's a viable option for YSA wards, but outside of that demographic there may be challenges.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

ericsheets

Postby ericsheets » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:58 pm

I have done this in our ward recently and several other wards in our stake are implementing as well. I chose to put a simple Google Doc on Google Drive. This allows the document to be quickly updated for corrections/additions. I created a QR code based on the shareable link to the Google Doc. I also created a Bitly link to make it easier to remember the link. I send out an e-mail message to all ward members on Sat with the bitly link and some basic information on how to use the QR code, bookmarking the link and some 'gotchas' that some users reported with their devices. We gave some basic "training" to our ward members on the 5th Sunday in Dec on using the e-bulletin. We have been weening members from using the printed bulletin. We have gone from printing 70 programs in Dec to 20 this past Sunday and there were still 7 left over. Our goal is to only print 10 bulletins for those that don't have devices that can be used to view the e-bulletin.

A few great advantages:
* Less printed bulletins, of course.
* Can add more announcements that we'd have in a printed bulletin.
* Can add direct links to the weekly lessons for Home Centered Study, RS & Priesthood and Sunday School.
* Can link calendars, documents and other web based items from the various ward organizations (Missionary teamup calendar, Missionary meal calendar, electronic check request form, etc)

Giuliacci

Postby Giuliacci » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:16 pm

Eric - Great job! Can you please send me a link to what you do?
Thanks, Paul

Giuliacci

Postby Giuliacci » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:20 pm

What Ward and stake do you live in?

Return to “General Discussions”