Lifetime ban from all Church property

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
devinbost

Lifetime ban from all Church property

Post by devinbost »

I heard from a temple security employee that it's actually possible in extreme cases for a person to get a lifetime ban from all Church property through an action from Church headquarters. This is the second time I've heard about this. (The last time I heard about it was from someone who provided counseling services for a lot of people who go through Church discipline.)
Does anyone here have more information about this (such as what it's called, if it triggers automatic excommunication, if it mentions a process for coming back into good status, etc.)?
I imagine it's probably not very widely known, and I didn't want to ask about it on an unofficial channel for reasons I'd think are obvious.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Lifetime ban from all Church property

Post by russellhltn »

It's not something I can find in the Handbook. I'd imagine that it would only be used for individuals that are found to be a threat to other members, such as being violent or some type of predator. This would be something over and above just having an incident, but something that suggests an ongoing threat to other members.

I'd imagine such an induvial would likely be under some kind of formal discipline and/or criminal charges.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

devinbost wrote:I heard from a temple security employee that it's actually possible in extreme cases for a person to get a lifetime ban from all Church property through an action from Church headquarters.
Trespass is a legal term defined by laws in each state. The federal government also has trespass laws that relate to government property.

I suppose a person could receive legal notice from the Church to stay off of its property that would meet the notice requirements for any state.
Membership status is a separate ecclesiastical action that may or may not be in progress at the same time.

This is a user-to-user forum and not an official channel of communication. It is available for anyone in the world to view. The Code of Conduct expects that we will maintain Church standards.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

devinbost wrote:...and I didn't want to ask about it on an unofficial channel...
Unfortunately, as a user-to-user forum, this is an unofficial channel. If you want an answer from the church's legal department, you'll have to ask them directly; but unless it's for nothing other than to satisfy your curiosity, I doubt your question will be received very well.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”