How to Get More Users

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tomw wrote:Your ideas are already in the works.
:cool:

A couple of thoughts:

One might be to keep some of the existing support groups as unofficial but simply help spread the word of their existence (with appropriate disclaimers). It might even be a good idea to find of volunteers to sift though the messages and kick upstairs the valid problems and ideas to relieve the staff from having to keep up with a ton of mundane posts like "How do I become a LUWS admin?" This limits the issue of "control" and the image of the church.

(Sound of more pennies landing in the penny jar)
mkmurray

Parents' Permission

Post by mkmurray »

JasonG wrote:If we could get something mentioned about it in either the Friend or the Ensign, ...
In reference to promoting the Forums in the Friend magazine...

I know kids at the age of 8 nowadays can use a computer better than most of us. However, I think they should get their parents' permission before signing up for an account on the Tech forums here.

Just kidding around... :D
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:There's currently no Open Source program going on or a similar project.

If you are refering to church sponsered open source then you are correct, but as for open source projects we have a few that have been started, albeit slow going.
  • [thread=47]VCard2Outlook[/thread] (2nd page) Hosted at: SourceForge
  • [thread=28]LDS Meeting Manager[/thread] Hosted at SourceForge
  • [thread=113]Scripture Software[/thread] Hosted BYU Personal Page but will move to SourceForge once someone creates a project for it.
  • [thread=170]Scouting Software[/thread] Currently no place is hosting as a source control.
  • [thread=203]MLS Companion[/thread] Currently ideas are being thrown around, no project has been started yet.
  • [thread=207]LUWS Interface[/thread] Currently not being hosted anywhere but in development.
I think that is a comprehensive list of the Open Source Projects that are being worked on or that have been created because of these forums. :D
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:II think that is a comprehensive list of the Open Source Projects that are being worked on or that have been created because of these forums. :D
I stand corrected, although there doesn't seem to be much action at the moment. Perhaps it's moved over the SourceForge area.

BTW, if it hasn't been done already, a listing of current projects would be a good thing for the announcement area.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

thedqs wrote:If you are refering to church sponsered open source then you are correct, but as for open source projects we have a few that have been started, albeit slow going.
  • [thread=47]VCard2Outlook[/thread] (2nd page) Hosted at: SourceForge
  • [thread=28]LDS Meeting Manager[/thread] Hosted at SourceForge
  • [thread=113]Scripture Software[/thread] Hosted BYU Personal Page but will move to SourceForge once someone creates a project for it.
  • [thread=170]Scouting Software[/thread] Currently no place is hosting as a source control.
  • [thread=203]MLS Companion[/thread] Currently ideas are being thrown around, no project has been started yet.
  • [thread=207]LUWS Interface[/thread] Currently not being hosted anywhere but in development.
I think that is a comprehensive list of the Open Source Projects that are being worked on or that have been created because of these forums. :D
I started a new [thread=228]thread here[/thread]. Let's keep a record of all open source projects for people to get involved with.

Tom
JasonG-p40

Post by JasonG-p40 »

mkmurray wrote:In reference to promoting the Forums in the Friend magazine...

I know kids at the age of 8 nowadays can use a computer better than most of us. However, I think they should get their parents' permission before signing up for an account on the Tech forums here.

Just kidding around... :D
Alright, switch "Friend" out for "New Era", and it'll make a little more sense. :p
Jason D. Griffith
Pampa Ward, Amarillo Stake (Texas)
Community Guidelines
jeffszone

Post by jeffszone »

Oh, I didn't see this thread when I posted a reply to the one in which you announced the goal itself.

I would suggest sending it in a "Tip of the Week" announcement to all the MLS computers, inviting any geeks out there to check out this website. Perhaps you could put a note at the bottom of the message to please print it and post it on a local bulletin board for a while.

Return to “General Discussions”