Amateur Radio and Emergency Communications

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Sorry, but which group is a "closed" group? At least all the local hams are always trying to get new people involved in their activities and to get their license.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Sorry, but which group is a "closed" group?
As a church-wide function.

But I may have been too harsh. While communications in an emergency does flow along the lines of authority; the ideas, methods, training and technical issues frequently benefit from peer-to-peer networking. It seems to me that that should be happening and that this is the logical place to do it.

Tom, what are the chances of getting the proper folks involved here?
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Oh, ok. As for some ideas that stakes can do, have a emergency training day, stake wide that is scripted where the entire emergency plans are put into operation and practiced. For a realistic emergency, you can believe that phones will be jambed or not working. So try a simulation without phones in the Stake. At least that will show you where you need to improve.
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

RussellHltn wrote:As a church-wide function.

But I may have been too harsh. While communications in an emergency does flow along the lines of authority; the ideas, methods, training and technical issues frequently benefit from peer-to-peer networking. It seems to me that that should be happening and that this is the logical place to do it.

Tom, what are the chances of getting the proper folks involved here?
I'll do some asking around.

Tom
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Oh, ok. As for some ideas that stakes can do, have a emergency training day, stake wide that is scripted where the entire emergency plans are put into operation and practiced.
We had one awhile back where each of the families were to take their 72 hour kit and drive to the chapel where the kit would be looked over. Each ward was to report to the SP how many participated. The idea was to find out how many families really do have a 72 hour kit and if it is adequate.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tomw wrote:I'll do some asking around.
Thanks!

(message too short it says..... <grumble>)
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:We had one awhile back where each of the families were to take their 72 hour kit and drive to the chapel where the kit would be looked over. Each ward was to report to the SP how many participated. The idea was to find out how many families really do have a 72 hour kit and if it is adequate.

The one I was refering to would require some acting. What would happen is the stake would assign roles to some. Some to be dead, some to be incapacitated, etc. There would be little stories for each. Everyone would be ready but most wouldn't know the script. You would then execute the "disaster". This is also what local law enforcement does with the Amateur Radio operators about once a quarter here in Provo.
- David
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Thanks for the links.
For those in WA, ARES is here:
http://www.wastateares.org/ From here you can get to most other WA based emergency channels.

National RACES:
http://www.races.net

Links to local chapters of Military Affiliate Radio System
http://www.dxer.com/mars.html
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Well, if we're posting links, http://www.arrl.org/cce/courses.html#ec001 is a link to ARRL's Ecom class. It ain't cheap, but it's a good class written by guys who have "been there" and speak from experience, not theory.

Standard disclaimers apply (not a church sponsored/recommended/connected site or program)

- Graduate EC-001, EC-002, EC-003/Mentor

Return to “General Discussions”