gaining a copy of a patriarchal blessing on behalf of someone else

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
colbyj

gaining a copy of a patriarchal blessing on behalf of someone else

Post by colbyj »

Hi,
I am a Bishop whose stewardship includes a handful of inmates housed at a federal institution inside my ward boundaries. One of those inmates is requesting a copy of her patriarchal blessing. That inmates's records are not in my unit, so I am not able to look up her membership info. I am not sure if the inmate knows who her previous Bishop or ward were. I have not been able to follow-up on those points yet. The inmate does not have internet access so cannot request the blessing for herself.

Is there an address she may write to to request her blessing?

or, is there another option I may pursue to help her?
Thank you,
nmecantwin73

Re: gaining a copy of a patriarchal blessing on behalf of someone else

Post by nmecantwin73 »

colbyj wrote:Is there an address she may write to to request her blessing?
Handbook 2, section 20.12.3 has the address to request a copy of her patriarchal blessing.
https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2 ... ng#20.12.3
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

colbyj wrote:That inmates's records are not in my unit, so I am not able to look up her membership info. I am not sure if the inmate knows who her previous Bishop or ward were. I have not been able to follow-up on those points yet.
I think it would be faster to take care of those first. The clerk doesn't need prior ward info to request the records. (As a bishop, I think you can request it yourself in LCR.)

Once the records arrive, you'll find out where they had been and can contact the bishop. With her name and birth date, you should be able to take care of this within the hour and will put you in a stronger positon to request her blessing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
colbyj

Post by colbyj »

thank you both!
hgrayson57

Post by hgrayson57 »

Would like get a copy of there patriarchal blessing...her name is [Personal information removed] she's been inactive for 40 years and doesn't know her membership number but is asking me to help her find her picture of blessing thank you [Full name removed]
Last edited by russellhltn on Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal information. This is a public forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's currently no process that I'm aware of that allows one member to get a copy of a blessing for another living member. That's a potential violation of private information.

You'll need to help her request it herself. The membership clerk would have her MRN so she can request it on the website.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”