Privacy settings and Ministering

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
zaneclark

Privacy settings and Ministering

Post by zaneclark »

The EQ President called me last night to check on a ministering assignment. He was talking to someone on how they were coming with their ministering, and they told him the member assigned to them was not in the ward, so didn't show up in their assigned names. The president checked tools and said the member was in the ward on his directory so he called me to check on this. I discovered that the member has elected to set her privacy to Private-Leadership Only. This means that although the president and other leaders can see her listing, her name does not appear on the list of those assigned to minister to her, nor in any directories , (unless you are a leader) so they assumed she had moved from the ward and they had been assigned to her by mistake. This might happen more often when a member does not want to be contacted, but this sister is very active.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Privacy settings and Ministering

Post by russellhltn »

Just to be clear, it's not showing up in the teacher's LDS Tools under "ministering"? I'm not surprised it doesn't show under the Directory, but I am a bit surprised if it doesn't show under Ministering. (Of course, there's no way to for the average person to see their assignments on-line at this point.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

russellhltn wrote:Just to be clear, it's not showing up in the teacher's LDS Tools under "ministering"? I'm not surprised it doesn't show under the Directory, but I am a bit surprised if it doesn't show under Ministering. (Of course, there's no way to for the average person to see their assignments on-line at this point.)
Correct, the "minister" can see his other assigned members in Tools under Ministering, but not this person.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Best suggestion is to send feedback via the app. The developers can make sure it's not a bug and hopefully it gets passed to the decision-makers. I would have hoped that "Ministering" would have passed whatever the legal test there is to allow personal information to be passed along. But then I"m not sure what the legal statute is.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

zaneclark wrote:Correct, the "minister" can see his other assigned members in Tools under Ministering, but not this person.
Unless the member changes the privacy setting, I do not believe the ministering brother or sister will be able to see them. This is one of the reasons it is so important that ministering assignments be made in person by the elders quorum or Relief Society presidency.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

russellhltn wrote:Best suggestion is to send feedback via the app. The developers can make sure it's not a bug and hopefully it gets passed to the decision-makers. I would have hoped that "Ministering" would have passed whatever the legal test there is to allow personal information to be passed along. But then I"m not sure what the legal statute is.
I don’t think it’s a bug... Just something that wasn’t anticipated when the privacy option was created.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

zaneclark wrote:I don’t think it’s a bug... Just something that wasn’t anticipated when the privacy option was created.
Nit-pick: The privacy option is several years old. Ministering is less then a year old. (Re-built from scratch, not from HT/VT) So, it would have to be the other way around: the effects of privacy wasn't considered during the drafting of Ministering.

zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

russellhltn wrote:
zaneclark wrote:I don’t think it’s a bug... Just something that wasn’t anticipated when the privacy option was created.
Nit-pick: The privacy option is several years old. Ministering is less then a year old. (Re-built from scratch, not from HT/VT) So, it would have to be the other way around: the effects of privacy wasn't considered during the drafting of Ministering.
You win! :-)
mtolman5989

Post by mtolman5989 »

Is there any development towards allowing members to see the ministering assignments of others ? As the Bishop, I cN see all for each member, but most cannot and it is incredibly difficult to minister adequately when members cannot see this info.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mtolman5989 wrote:Is there any development towards allowing members to see the ministering assignments of others ? As the Bishop, I cN see all for each member, but most cannot and it is incredibly difficult to minister adequately when members cannot see this info.
I do not have any special privileges when it comes to local membership. Yet, in LDS Tools (Android) I can see the assigned ministering sisters of families I have been assigned to. I do not see any assignments for any other families or individuals.

Return to “General Discussions”