Ward Clerk wants to move my records

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
dossy59

Ward Clerk wants to move my records

Post by dossy59 »

I work in Australia but live in NZL, many times I'm away from home for lengthy periods due to work but I do live in NZL with my wife and children. My wife received the following text from our Ward clerk.

Hi Sister,

As a part of my stewardship as Ward Clerk, I am responsible to keep membership records accurate. Regarding your husband could you please provide me with his current address in Australia so I can move his membership record back to Australia. Just his record will be moved so that the Bishop over their can have local leaders minister to him.

Thank you

Brother "Ward Clerk"

I am against having it moved. My wife will look like a single divorcee mother and I'll look like a single divorcee father. Plus I won't feel part of the Ward when I return. Can he do this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Ward Clerk wants to move my records

Post by russellhltn »

How long is a "lengthy period"? If it's more than three months, then a case can be made that by church polity it should be moved - particularly if the other ward is in a better position to help you spiritually. On the other hand, since it's clear you will be returning, by policy, the records can be kept at your residence.

This is a conversation you should have with your bishop(s). Again, this is about what best serves your spiritual needs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I think the three-month rule is a good standard to follow. Then again, since records can be "moved" in less than one minute, the clerks can just play ping pong with your record each time you jump over the big pond.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

For other clerks playing along at home, Handbook 1:13.6.4, paragraphs 3-5.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote:For other clerks playing along at home, Handbook 1:13.6.4, paragraphs 3-5.
The exception noted in paragraph 3 is particularly relevant here. It sounds like it may be good for the home ward clerk to review that paragraph.

The bishop in Australia can add you as an out-of-unit member so that you appear on ward lists and can be adequately supported by the ward in Australia during the time you are there.

Return to “General Discussions”