Building Technology Suggestions for Advancing our Ward into 2000s

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
JeffTurgeon

Building Technology Suggestions for Advancing our Ward into 2000s

Post by JeffTurgeon »

Our Ward is wondering what technology other Ward units are using that may bring our own ward into the 2000's. We have some funds available in the bishopric fund and have been very frugal but we feel like we are falling behind technology wise.

Currently we have:
1) the "crab" (used to audio interface into PA)
2) analog projector
3) wireless microphone (for Sunday School teacher)
4) 2 flat screen TVs (small one about 14" and larger about 28")
5) DVD player
6) Clerk computer
7) printer/scanner (from the 90's)
8) LAN & WIFI throughout bldg

Has your Ward purchased any technology items that we should consider?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Building Technology Suggestions for Advancing our Ward into 2000s

Post by russellhltn »

I think that's pretty much about it. I'd note that most of those things should have been bought by FM at some point. The Handbook prohibits buying computers with ward/stake funds. The budgets are intended to be used for activities.

Something you might consider is a device to receive webcasts. (As opposed to using a laptop.) The church is working on that front, but nothing solid yet. So, perhaps the time is "not yet". Much of this will depend on what direction your stake takes with regards to stake conference.

Except perhaps with a age of the equipment, I don't think you're behind at all.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Something you might consider is a device to receive webcasts. (As opposed to using a laptop.)
At the moment I would not make any change here. I believe that before the next stake conference or two, the FM Group or your stake will furnish a device for you to use to receive stake conference webcasts. The device is in beta and the test is going well. I see no need to buy anything new just for one or two stake conferences.
JeffTurgeon

Post by JeffTurgeon »

Our stake broadcasts our Stake Conferences to our building over internet. Since we are 28 minutes (instead of 30 or more) from the stake center we did not qualify for a satellite dish. All of our broadcasts are received using using internet. We still host the priesthood session in our building as well as the Sunday General Conference for those wishing to be at the church rather than at home. We also have hosted, as a reception site, church youth broadcast and regional broadcasts.

Currently we use my older laptop since it has a VGA output that feeds our analog projector that requires a VGA or composite feed. The FM said they'd replace our projector when the bulb burns out.

I'd like to see some more information on the receiving device that the church is experimenting with. If they need some Beta testers we're willing.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The main discussion is going on here. I do not know if they are recruiting more beta testers at the moment.

Return to “General Discussions”