New Church Logo for Military Headstones

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jonkad

New Church Logo for Military Headstones

Post by jonkad »

Wondering if the church is working with the military to change the angel Moroni logo used for military headstones to the new logo just announced? I've been working on the military documents needed in my estate plan for when I eventually pass away and they ask for you to select the religious logo for your particular religion. Just wondering if someone is working with the military to update the LDS logo and when can we expect that to be official?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: New Church Logo for Military Headstones

Post by jdlessley »

The Church logo as announced in general conference is a Church trademark. For information about the use of the Church logo on military headstones you can follow the information found in the Terms of Use link at the bottom of the forum page or most church owned websites such as http://www.churchofjesuschrist.org. In the Guidelines for Use of Church Trademarks there is contact information that states:
Additional Information

Of course, these guidelines cannot anticipate every potential type of fair use. If you would like specific guidance on a proposed use, please contact the Church’s Intellectual Property Office at:

Phone: 1-801-240-3959 or 1-800-453-3860, ext. 2-3959
Fax: 1-801-240-1187
Email: cor-intellectualproperty@ChurchofJesusChrist.org
In my personal opinion I don't think the Church is going to change the angel Moroni image used on the military headstones. But you can ask that question when you contact the Church's Intellectual Property Office.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm not sure if the Church decides what logo the U.S. military puts on headstones. I'm not sure who designed the Moroni symbol for headstones – if it was submitted by the Church, or drawn up by a Church member in the military, or commissioned by the military (I'd be curious to know, if anyone has more information).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm curious the favicon for church sites will change.

Nothing against the new logo, but it is too detailed to be easily put on a headstone or a 16 x 16 pixel browser icon.

But to answer Samuel's question, these links seem to be a good starting point:

Wikipedia

https://www.cem.va.gov/cem/hmm/emblems.asp
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

On a whim, I left feedback regarding this topic on the church Military Relations page. Here is their response:
"Please contact the Military Relations and Chaplain Services Division... ... for more information."
Not sure if I should post their phone number and email address here so anyone who is interested can pm me and I'll provide the contact info. As a veteran, we are interested in this, but "hopefully" that need will be a number of years down the road for us.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I am sure the OP is referring to the available emblems of belief for placement on government headstones and markers approved by the National Cemetery Administration. I doubt that the current Moroni emblem would be replaced since the requirement for a new submission as described by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website must be "free of copyright or trademark restrictions or authorized by the owner for inscription on Government-furnished headstones and markers and can be reproduced in a production-line environment in stone or bronze without loss of graphic quality." At least the last part of the requirement regarding reproducibility could not be met.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:"or authorized by the owner for inscription on Government-furnished headstones and markers"
I would speak with the Military Relations committee at Church headquarters. The Church switchboard can connect you. If they would like it to happen, it will.
GloriousLion

Post by GloriousLion »

jdlessley wrote:I am sure the OP is referring to the available emblems of belief for placement on government headstones and markers approved by the National Cemetery Administration. I doubt that the current Moroni emblem would be replaced since the requirement for a new submission as described by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website must be "free of copyright or trademark restrictions or authorized by the owner for inscription on Government-furnished headstones and markers and can be reproduced in a production-line environment in stone or bronze without loss of graphic quality." At least the last part of the requirement regarding reproducibility could not be met.
Thanks for the great feedback.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

jdlessley wrote:At least the last part of the requirement regarding reproducibility could not be met.
There are multiple versions / resolutions of the Church logo, for different contexts. For example, the Gospel Library icon, Church social media page image, and ChurchofJesusChrist.org favicon use a simpler version without all of the shading that the full logo has.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “General Discussions”