Page 1 of 3

No General Conference on Linux with Move Media

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:05 am
by cognifloyd
The Church made a great decision when they chose Move Network's media player. Move Networks looks like an awesome service that offers remarkable quality in the streaming video. I applaud the Church for embracing new technology like this.

However, I can't stream conference on my computer with this player. Move Media Player only supports Windows XP, Vista, and Mac OS X 10.3 or greater. I use linux because I can't afford the cost of windows or mac. (plus, I like linux)

One guy (cygnl7), saying that he works for Move Networks, said the following on this ubuntu forums post:
"...I work at Move Networks and I happen to work very closely with the player plugin team. There simply isn't enough demands from our clients yet to justify the cost for building a Linux plugin yet. Hopefully that will change soon. Let the various content providers know that you want Linux support. If enough people make a fuss they'll make a fuss with us and we'll build it." (My emphasis)

Let's make a fuss then. Please, if you use Linux, and would like to stream general conference live, reply to this thread. Let's show our support!

Thanks!
Jacob Floyd

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:14 am
by Mikerowaved
techgurufloyd wrote: Let's make a fuss then. Please, if you use Linux, and would like to stream general conference live, reply to this thread. Let's show our support!

I think people would be better heard if they contacted Move Networks directly, rather than posting in a forum that's not directly related to their company. Contact info can be found here...

http://www.movenetworks.com/company/contactus

And yes, I think *nix support is something desirable for many, especially in developing countries where the cost of an OS has to be kept to a bare minimum.

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:10 pm
by russellhltn
Mikerowaved wrote:I think people would be better heard if they contacted Move Networks directly, rather than posting in a forum that's not directly related to their company.


That all depends on who pays Move Networks. In this case, I'll bet it's the church. Techgurufloyd's point is to get MN to support Linux, the first step to to get MN's customer (in this case, The Church) to want to support Linux.

Show them the money (or at least market share) and they'll build it.

Seems quite logical to me.

I suspect the key to getting the church to want it is to show them cases where it's truly needed and not simply desired.

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:40 pm
by rmrichesjr
techgurufloyd wrote:...
Let's make a fuss then. Please, if you use Linux, and would like to stream general conference live, reply to this thread. Let's show our support!

Thanks!
Jacob Floyd


Please count me in on the list of fuss makers. :-) It would be great to have Move Networks available for Linux/Unix.

However, all is not lost. I'm running Mandriva 2009.0 ("free" version) and watched the morning session of conference. From the home page at http://www.lds.org, I clicked on "watch or listen to the conference", then went to the "Additional Video Streams" and clicked on "English". I used mplayer to play the stream. There were a few hiccups in the first minute or two, but the rest of the Saturday morning session was fine.

Edit to clarify/correct: The last click is on "Windows Media" to the right of "English".

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:49 pm
by kennethjorgensen
rmrichesjr wrote:I clicked on "watch or listen to the conference", then went to the "Additional Video Streams" and clicked on "English". I used mplayer to play the stream. There were a few hiccups in the first minute or two, but the rest of the Saturday morning session was fine.


I cant believe I havent noticed that yet. I will go back to using Windows 7 with VLC.

Funny enough I ran both feeds next to each other and they were wide apart in time, the additional feed was closest to real time.

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:07 am
by marianomarini
rmrichesjr wrote:Please count me in on the list of fuss makers. :-) It would be great to have Move Networks available for Linux/Unix.

However, all is not lost. I'm running Mandriva 2009.0 ("free" version) and watched the morning session of conference. From the home page at http://www.lds.org, I clicked on "watch or listen to the conference", then went to the "Additional Video Streams" and clicked on "English". I used mplayer to play the stream. There were a few hiccups in the first minute or two, but the rest of the Saturday morning session was fine.

Edit to clarify/correct: The last click is on "Windows Media" to the right of "English".

I use Ubuntu and all works fine. Video (with totem) in English with sound to zero and Italian Audio with rythmbox.
There was about 10 seconds of gap between the two but it was fine for me.

petition

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:42 am
by acabre-p40
There is a petition for Move to support Linux. If it's important to you, sign the petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/movlinux/petition.html

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:32 pm
by carstenbn
This is an issue for me as well, even though the additional feeds work of course. Move Media actually made a very comfortable player and I've missed that dearly ever since moving from OS X Tiger to Xubuntu. The old way of doing things doesn't stack up to that player by any measure.

Signed the petition and posted here. Maybe I'll send an e-mail to Move as well.

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:38 pm
by jbh001
Maybe within the next year or so Move will take advantage of HTML5 in Firefox 3.5, Safari 4, Google Chrome, and the Google Chrome Frame plug-in for Internet Explorer.

One advantage of this would be that the way Move codes for HTML5 on Firefox 3.5 should, in theory, work independent of the underlying OS, which also means not having to depend on Flash.

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:59 am
by marianomarini
I signed the petition. If next release will be multiplatform then all the better.