Tv in bishops office

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
wrigjef

Tv in bishops office

Post by wrigjef »

Does anyone have a large screen tv mounted in the bishops office, either for a status board or for teleconference?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Tv in bishops office

Post by russellhltn »

I have seen it done. Not sure how things went with FM as the building belongs to them.

It's likely a local decision. We don't get to see FM's playbook, so we have no idea what the policy actually is.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
hmsummit

Post by hmsummit »

Yes, we do. I mounted it. The stake president liked the idea so much he did the same thing.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

If I were a Facility Manager, responsible for wisely managing limited resources, I would ask why these monitors could not be mounted to a mobile A/V cart and stored in the library, so they could be shared with other leaders and members. Mounting them to an office wall prevents anyone else from using that resource.

When my bishopric needs one for training or a Zoom meeting, they grab an A/V cart from the library, move it to the bishop's office, and then return it to the library for common use.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
hmsummit

Post by hmsummit »

Because it is a personal TV, the bishop's office is small and the tv cart uses precious space, and a tv cart isn't always available.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Personal electronic devices should not remain in the meetinghouse overnight. Facilities should not be modified without approval by the FM group.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

drepouille wrote:Personal electronic devices should not remain in the meetinghouse overnight. Facilities should not be modified without approval by the FM group.
Our SP recently bought two 65" TV's for the RS & Primary rooms. FM arranged for the installation. They are now kicking around the idea of having a smaller TV up on the rostrum. Although bishop's offices weren't on the list, our PFR actively worked with the FM manager for each project.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Keep in mind that FM's response may depend on what crime is like in the area. The concern may not be the loss of the TV as much as all the damage the thieves might cause. A building known to be vacant for much of the week with large screen TVs might be too much of a risk in a high-crime area.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I can’t find anything either for or against in the FM policy documents. I can find references to serving and supporting the Stake president (via the PFR) in his responsibility. That’s in line with what I’ve heard anecdotally. An FM guy told a Bishop he could do what he wanted with the building in the Stake President was on board, he said he was there to serve not direct.

In that particular Stake, the president has outfitted the high council room with a complete teleconferencing system.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

In multiple areas I've seen references to FM starting to allow putting up TVs in RS and other areas... This should really have policy around it.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “General Discussions”