How can I get names to show up on maps?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 30273
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:34 pm

lajackson wrote:The developers must be scratching their heads over this one. I wonder if it has something to do with the check digit in the unit number? (Just kidding. I would be clueless.)


I'm guessing it's a quirk in the membership records that kills the process. It's common enough that most units have it, but how much you see depends on how far down the alphabet that member's record is. I know if I were tasked to fix it, I'd be looking at the last member listed and the first one missed for any clues.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

User avatar
williamjackson
Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:20 pm
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Contact:

Postby williamjackson » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:25 am

The more I play with it, the more I am convinced that the server is choking on specific members. In the case of our ward, the member that comes first alphabetically is one that the server chokes on, so we get nothing but headers in our export.

However, if I change the filter to exclude that first member, I start getting actual data in the export file. I still don't get everything I want, so I'm sure whatever the problem is, it applies to more than one member.

The next time I am at the meetinghouse I plan to make an insignificant change to this member's address, then change it back, in the hopes that it might shake something up and things will start working.

Also, when I click that member's name, I get redirected to a "Server Error" page and I am told, "Sorry, an error occurred processing this page".

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15123
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:41 am

subtlecoolness wrote:The more I play with it, the more I am convinced that the server is choking on specific members. In the case of our ward, the member that comes first alphabetically is one that the server chokes on, so we get nothing but headers in our export.
...
Also, when I click that member's name, I get redirected to a "Server Error" page and I am told, "Sorry, an error occurred processing this page".


Yes, I can confirm that. Furthermore, when I do a stake export, the list truncates right before a certain household. When I do a ward export for that household's ward, the list truncates right before that same household. And selecting that household results in a server error. Those three facts are clearly more than a coincidence.

However, there is nothing obvious about this household that distinguishes it from preceding households that export just fine -- nothing about the number of members in the household, the membership record number, the address, or anything else that I examined. My guess is that it should be pretty easy to debug -- when I sent in feedback on this issue, I provided the ward and stake unit numbers, so a developer should be able to track it down rather quickly.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 30273
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:18 am

Alan_Brown wrote:However, there is nothing obvious about this household that distinguishes it from preceding households that export just fine


How about use of reserved characters in one of the fields?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15123
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:05 am

RussellHltn wrote:How about use of reserved characters in one of the fields?


Nothing of that sort appears in that household's record. But I think at this point the conditions of the bug are sufficiently identified that the developers can easily track it down. I don't see much point in speculation, unless it could lead to a temporary workaround, which I really doubt.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

davesudweeks
Senior Member
Posts: 2013
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Postby davesudweeks » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:31 am

Just for my 2-cents worth, I tried to export the data after Bishopric meeting on Wednesday evening. I did not verify line-by-line, but the dozen or so names I was looking for were all there, as well as the first and last names in our ward, alphabetically.

Looks like things are working well for the Elm Creek Ward in this instance. :)

Now, if I could just wrap my brain around what's going on with CUBS!!!:mad:

Dave Sudweeks
Ward Clerk

User avatar
williamjackson
Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:20 pm
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Contact:

Postby williamjackson » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:51 am

It looks like some bugs have been fixed. Members in groups are appearing on the map, and when I export, I get all households in the csv file. I'm happy!


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests