Connecting a Ipad to sound sistem what to do for best result

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Connecting a Ipad to sound sistem what to do for best re

Post by russellhltn »

davidmarmolejo wrote:Many times i have seen they have audio problems I'm a musician and have ofered helped ..
But i would like understand 100% it's sound sistem for the stake that it's much more complex
than the one in my stake
how to i master that one?? with out asking for the manual becuase i'm not a oficial sound
guys but i know i can help them when needed
The operation of the sound system is quite simple. The system accepts a XLR mic input. Using the mics provided by the FM group would be best. Otherwise the mic might be too hot and cause feedback.

Most of the adjustments are professionally tuned/set and locked away. Short of using your own mixer to feed the system, there are very few options. If the current settings are not working, then they need to work though the FM group to get those fixed the next time the church sound guys are in the area. (Things like the overflow sound being too weak, etc.)

If you could outline what the problems are, we could give you some advice.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Here are some solutions to your post:

1. Hold a microphone up to the speaker of your iPad (NOT recommended)

2. Find the crab box.

3. Have the FM Group replace the crab box

4. Purchase your own solution for $23.84.

If you choose to get a replacement from the FM Group, you will need make a request for a replacement to your High Counselor who is the Physical Facilities Representative (PFR). If your request is approved, he will ask the FM Group to order a replacement. The FM Group will then pay $150 plus tax and shipping to obtain one from the church distribution center. Once the order has been placed, received and taken to your building by the FM Group (can take days to several weeks), you will need to find out where they put it and ask if someone can unlock the room/cabinet it is stored in to access it.

For me, I chose to spend the $25 and purchase one on my own. There are only three things you will need: A Pyle PDC21 Direct Box (or equivalent purchased from eBay for $14.92), a 3.5 mm to 1/4" adapter cable (monoprice part # 601045 for $3.30) and a microphone cable (monoprice part # 4750 for $5.62).

The Direct Box solution has been so popular in my stake, every building now has one in their library which anyone can borrow to play audio through the building sound system, including iPods, boomboxes, cell phones, laptops, strereo systems and DJ equipment,. etc. The list goes on and on. The ladies in the exercise class play their exercise music through it and LOVE it!

A Direct Box is a handy tool used by musicians and sound engineers to connect various types of audio sources to professional mixing consoles and other equipment by tapping the audio signal (but still connects to the amp or speaker) and converting it to a clean (low-level and balanced) signal for professional audio equipment. The source can be anything from a powerful speaker, to a headphone jack or even low output signals like keyboards and guitars.

Let me know if you use solution #3 and how you like it.

(note: while I was writing this post, I received a call wanting to know how to hook up a laptop to the sound system for a Temple Dedication Dance practice. I told the sister where the box was and how to hook it up. The best part is that I don't have to go down and get it out or hook it up for her. She was happy just to know we had a "magic" box and how easy it will be to hook up, and she doesn't need my help.)

Mike
davidmarmolejo

Post by davidmarmolejo »

Wow you are extremely helpful ,btw wish i coul buy a very profesional direct box there is i think theyare around 400 ? There very best pro ones? Or even much more?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

michaelfish wrote: For me, I chose to spend the $25 and purchase one on my own. There are only three things you will need: A Pyle PDC21 Direct Box (or equivalent purchased from eBay for $14.92), a 3.5 mm to 1/4" adapter cable (monoprice part # 601045 for $3.30) and a microphone cable (monoprice part # 4750 for $5.62).
We use something like this. How does this compare with your setup? This seems quite easy, just a single cable.
davidmarmolejo

Post by davidmarmolejo »

Actually that is the most practical way to go.. Thanx exacly what i was looking for.
Would that come out in stereo?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davidmarmolejo wrote:Actually that is the most practical way to go.. Thanx exacly what i was looking for.
Would that come out in stereo?
The meetinghouse sound system isn't stereo, so no, it wouldn't. Nor is it possible.

The description does say that both channels are mixed together (mixed to mono). So it should work fine.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davidmarmolejo

Post by davidmarmolejo »

I would think that heaven atleast would have stereo :D
davidmarmolejo

Post by davidmarmolejo »

i'm triying to explain to one of the counselors of the Bishop about it , but he does not know what i 'm taking about ..... how do i explain and do you know the name of it in spanish?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davidmarmolejo wrote:I would think that heaven atleast would have stereo :D
Stereo? How quaint. 7.1 surround sound. :D

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davidmarmolejo wrote:i'm triying to explain to one of the counselors of the Bishop about it , but he does not know what i 'm taking about ..... how do i explain and do you know the name of it in spanish?
I assume you're talking about the "crab box". I don't know as it has a recognized official name - just "that thing in a gray or black zipper pouch". Technically it's a EJ-8 or EJ-10, but that's for those "in the know". (See links for photos).

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”