Assisted Listening device interferring on Amateur Radio band

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Assisted Listening device interferring on Amateur Radio

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:Do not ignore these things. Read the manuals. Keep up with regulation changes. There is no call to dismiss cautionary notices out of hand...
We're in agreement.

aclawson wrote:... as is being done here.
And on this, I disagree. We may not be handling it with the same sense of urgency you desire, but no one is advocating to ignore it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aclawson wrote:There is no call to dismiss cautionary notices out of hand as is being done here. That is all.
I do not believe anything is being dismissed out of hand here. There is nothing to dismiss. No one here has any idea of the real situation because the original poster has not returned. And even if they did, no one here has any authority or path toward a resolution.

If the original poster returned and there was still a problem, they would probably be invited to contact their FM Group with the encouragement that they continue to escalate the matter until it is completely resolved, because it is a serious matter and not something the FM Group can just ignore. Other than that, there is not much more anyone here can do.

You have made your point very well.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:If the original poster returned and there was still a problem, they would probably be invited to contact their FM Group with the encouragement that they continue to escalate the matter until it is completely resolved,
It should be noted from Post #6 that the FM group did contact a church employee over meetinghouse technology about the issue. So I think it's safe to say that FM group has been involved for some time now.

It seem to me there are a limited number of possible solutions:
  • Verify the antenna is installed correctly. (Maybe I'm remembering the wrong restriction, but I do remember a limitation to avoid horizontal polarization.)
  • Replace the transmitter and antenna on the chance that it's defective
  • Add a low pass filter
  • Change channels
None of these should take much time to do if no one drops the ball.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

Good Mormning gentlemen.

I am chiming in as reading the forum communication so far it appears to me that tow separate conversations have merged into 1, and it is causing confusion.
The original post by studerje "was in reference to a problem where the Assisted Listening System" ALS appears to be causing interference problems at approximately 144.3 Mhz range.

I have personally reached out to the FM group responsible for the building and equipment in question and made recommendations for repair, and believe that the situation has been resolved. If anyone knows differently, let me know and we will resolve it.

Before I had reached out to the FM group, it was suggested that the problem could be resolved by changing the transmission frequency, so that the harmonics were thrown up into another spectrum where they would be less noticeable. This spawned the question of weather or not the old receivers could tune to those higher frequencies

Shortly after I originally reached out to the FM group,
russellhltn wrote:The question is what can the receivers do? Can all of them tune 75MHz? (Not just the new ones, but the existing ones in use.)
As it turns out they can not. russellhltn posted such after he went and looked at the receivers in his own bldg. please note this sin not the same building as the original poster had concerns about.

The equipment in the original bldg was replaced with new equipment that resolved the issue the same week as my original post that we were working with he FM group to resolve the issue.
I can assure everyone that the church as a whole takes the issue of complying with all laws. And upon being notified of the issue, moved as fast as we passably could to ensure compliance.

Thank you all for your concerns.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”