Static/White Noise in Chapel Audio

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Static/White Noise in Chapel Audio

Post by russellhltn »

davepet wrote:If the satellite sound push-button switch is off (NO LED light) with volume set to zero, the satellite audio bleeds through at a low but VERY noticeable level.
If the satellite push-button switch is on (RED led lit) the satellite volume can be controlled, and when satellite volume is set to zero there is no satellite sound.
I'd call FM and ask if the sound contractor has been out to your building. I'm thinking someone changed the programming and made an error. But the only one with access to the programming is the contractor.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

davepet wrote:If the satellite sound push-button switch is off (NO LED light) with volume set to zero, the satellite audio bleeds through at a low but VERY noticeable level.
We had the same problem in a new building. The FM group needs to ask the audio contractor to adjust the default satellite audio level.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

davepet wrote:1990 building - ...
Is that just the way it is nor or is there a problem developing ?
Does the system have the Ivie DSP-based system? If so, the only place the audio could mix is inside the DSP (unless somebody did some unauthorized rewiring, which is not likely).

In 2005, I was told by PA system installers that the Ivie equipment had reliability problems. In fact, one of the pieces of equipment installed at the stake center was defective on initial installation. (It produced a DC offset on one of the main outputs that went to a power amplifier, and the audio was distorted.)

If that happened at my meetinghouse, I'd call the STS and ask him to call Church headquarters. They probably have historical data that would indicate whether the problem is benign or likely to indicate a more serious failure on the way. As a workaround, if you have access to the rack, you could unplug the audio cable from the satellite receiver (except during a satellite program, of course).

Addendum after seeing the other intervening posts: The English audio from the satellite receiver usually goes through an audio distribution amplifier, which has a gain adjustment. If someone (with or without authorization) changed the gain setting on the DA, that might account for the change in system behavior.
davepet

Post by davepet »

Thanks for the responses.
Just FYI
1. Our STS was called on a service mission and has not been replaced.
2. Our FM group is unresponsive. PFR High Counselor did not know what to do.
3. Global Service Center had very little to offer.
4. As of last Sunday, the problem was no longer there.
mevans

Post by mevans »

davepet wrote:1990 building - We have a similar problem but it is the satellite feed bleeding into the chapel PA instead of white noise.
Our problem just started,
If the satellite sound push-button switch is off (NO LED light) with volume set to zero, the satellite audio bleeds through at a low but VERY noticeable level.
If the satellite push-button switch is on (RED led lit) the satellite volume can be controlled, and when satellite volume is set to zero there is no satellite sound.
I have witnesses (me includes) that this did not happen before.

Is that just the way it is nor or is there a problem developing ?
Did you get your problem solved? If it's still happening, have you contacted the FM group (or whatever FM is changing into these days)?

Is your A/V system still from 1990 and not upgraded since then? Do you know what equipment you have? I suspect there's nothing you can do about it these days without the FM group sending out their rep. Some of these things are quick fixes. I don't know where you're located, but if you're in the United States, I think there are only a handful of techs that the church uses for such troubleshooting and quick fixes. If it's a more extensive issue, then the FM group needs to budget for an A/V overhaul by one of the contractors the church uses. I've met with one of these people a couple of times for matters in our stake's buildings. He quickly solved some problems, but another problem had to be budgeted by the FM group for replacement later.
davepet

Post by davepet »

The FM group fixed it.
No real info from them just "it is quiet now."
thanks

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”