Audio System Line out has distortion/clipping

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
EarloftheWest

Re: Audio System Line out has distortion/clipping

Post by EarloftheWest »

I went from REC OUT to a mono to stereo adapter and that worked fine. We heard sound coming from both speakers.
So I think we're good there.
I think the only issue now is the level of attenuation.
I ended up purchasing the
LN2MIC-ZOOMH4N 3.5mm Line To Mic DSL Cable For Zoom H4-PRO Recorders – 9 Inch
(which provides 25db of attenuation) as recommended by the vendor, but it won't be here for at least 10 days.
At this point we're in experiment mode. We'll probably spend a bit on cables etc. until enough people can confirm a solution.
Ideally, it would be nice if we could get the exact specs of the REC OUT so we have that as a data point. Then, determining the amount of attenuation would be easier.
I looked through historical threads on this website and it appears that people have been trying to do this for over 5 years, but I don't see that anyone has recommend an exact solution.
It'll be nice when we can say "this works".
I mentioned this above but it's worth reiterating... when Stake Conference was broadcast from the Stake Center to the chapels, the sound had the issue I've described. I suspect that when that system was installed, they took the REC OUT / line out level and plugged it directly into their equipment without attenuation.
So I think this isn't an just an issue that Wards are having as they try and do broadcasts from the Church. Some Stake Centers may have this issue for their broadcasts as well.
I'm really looking forward to the time where we can have a final answer on this one.
Thanks for everyone's help!

UPDATE:
This thread from the Canon (Since we're using the HF R800) website has some good information regarding line level to mic input.
They are recommending 50db of attenuation.
https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Camc ... 2111#M3600
Last edited by EarloftheWest on Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EarloftheWest

Post by EarloftheWest »

drepouille wrote:OK, so the "Record Out" jack is a mono jack, with just a tip for mono audio and a sleeve for ground, right?
A TRRS connector (used by phones, laptops, and cameras) uses the tip for the left channel, the first ring for the right channel, the second ring for ground, and the sleeve for the microphone.
You've got a good call out above. Users need to know if their camera needs a TRS or TRRS plug.
In my case, the manual for the Canon HF R800 says that it will accept a stereo mic with a 3.5mm plug.
I wish it would have specified TRS as opposed to stereo since TRS is more specific.

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Yes, you need to go from TS to TRS. No TRRS that I see.

What you need to watch out for is there's two levels of line out. Consumer (typically RCA jacks) and Professional (XLR). The professional is a lot hotter. Connecting Pro to consumer can result in distortion. While the church system is "pro", I think that output has probably been turned down to "consumer".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

But a TRS does not have a microphone line or connector. The audio output from the sound system must be connected to the microphone input on the laptop.

I am thinking this:
https://www.amazon.com/AAOTOKK-Adaptado ... B07V4XFLMM
or this:
https://www.amazon.com/Kingtop-adaptado ... B01I3A47I4
or anything similar to these.

But we still need to attenuate the signal before it reaches the microphone input.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe he's talking about plugging it into his camera, which is a TRS and wired more like a stereo line out.

If he is going to the laptop, then depending on the laptop, it may be TRS powered mono microphone (different pinout), or TRRS (headset). A few even have stereo line in, but that's unusual.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
EarloftheWest

Post by EarloftheWest »

I bought these to go from the REC OUT to my device.
Mono Plug to 3.5mm Stereo Jack Adaptor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N ... UTF8&psc=1
25ft male to male 3.5mm cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LB ... =UTF8&th=1
But I need to add the attenuator to the mix.

UPDATE:
In retrospect, I would get...
1. The mono to stereo adapter
2. The male to male attenuator (when we figure out which one we need)
3. A 50ft 3.5mm female to male extension.

I would want the 50 feet because it would provide more flexibility in camera and equipment placement.
Last edited by EarloftheWest on Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EarloftheWest

Post by EarloftheWest »

drepouille wrote:But a TRS does not have a microphone line or connector. The audio output from the sound system must be connected to the microphone input on the laptop.

I am thinking this:
https://www.amazon.com/AAOTOKK-Adaptado ... B07V4XFLMM
or this:
https://www.amazon.com/Kingtop-adaptado ... B01I3A47I4
or anything similar to these.
I don't think your "mic in" on your laptop is TRRS. I bet your laptop needs a TRS. You'll want to check the specs.
I believe that iPhones and such would be TRRS, though.

It's my understanding that TRS is stereo.
The Takstar SGT-598 that we bought has a Stereo/TRS jack.
Last edited by EarloftheWest on Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EarloftheWest

Post by EarloftheWest »

russellhltn wrote:While the church system is "pro", I think that output has probably been turned down to "consumer".
Will be updating my communication with Sescom.
Maybe 25db is right.
Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

EarloftheWest wrote:I don't think your "mic in" on your laptop is TRRS.
Depends on the laptop. I have 3 different models in arm's reach. Only the oldest has separate headphone and mic jacks. It seems the trend is toward the all-in-on TRRS headset jack.

Look carefully at the icon - is it just headphones, or does the picture have a boom mic attached?

EarloftheWest

Post by EarloftheWest »

russellhltn wrote:
EarloftheWest wrote:I don't think your "mic in" on your laptop is TRRS.
Depends on the laptop. I have 3 different models in arm's reach. Only the oldest has separate headphone and mic jacks. It seems the trend is toward the all-in-on TRRS headset jack.

Look carefully at the icon - is it just headphones, or does the picture have a boom mic attached?
Good call. Thanks!

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”