Installing Family Search Indexing on Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit)

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Installing Family Search Indexing on Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit)

Post by aebrown »

marianomarini wrote:
aebrown wrote:
rviertel wrote:Does anybody know why familysearch does not update this to work with newer versions of Java?
I don't know for certain, but since the FamilySearch indexing development efforts are heavily focused on the new browser-based indexing application, it's understandable that the obsolescent Java-based indexing application would be rather neglected.
Why not give the chance to the lds community to contribute?
If the pioneers have build a shared irrigation system we can do it even for technology, isn't. :D
The Java-based system is going away. It would take significant effort to set up the project for community involvement, which would be just as much of an effort as fixing things. I doubt that the development managers at FamilySearch would welcome that distraction at this point.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marianomarini wrote:If the pioneers have build a shared irrigation system we can do it even for technology, isn't. :D
The pioneers lived in a simpler time. Also, a mistake in a irrigation system wasn't likely to mess up things around the world.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:The pioneers lived in a simpler time. Also, a mistake in a irrigation system wasn't likely to mess up things around the world.
It sure could mess up things in the entire world in which the pioneers lived, however. [grin]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

True, but it goes back to the old saying "to really mess things up takes a computer".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rviertel

Post by rviertel »

I asked my question on askubuntu.com and here is the response that I got.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/832673/h ... untu-16-04

It worked perfectly for me
ReimonPC

Post by ReimonPC »

Hello. What about RPM distros? I'm running Fedora 24 x64 here, and I get this message:
[rei@dhcppc7 ~]$ rm .install4j
[rei@dhcppc7 ~]$ sh Indexing_unix.sh
testing JVM in /usr ...
testing JVM in /usr/lib/jvm/jre ...
testing JVM in /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.8.0 ...
testing JVM in /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.8.0-openjdk ...
testing JVM in /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.111-1.b16.fc24.x86_64 ...
testing JVM in /usr/lib/jvm/jre-openjdk ...
No suitable Java Virtual Machine could be found on your system.
The version of the JVM must be at least 1.6 and at most 1.6.
Please define INSTALL4J_JAVA_HOME to point to a suitable JVM.
You can also try to delete the JVM cache file /home/rei/.install4j
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

ReimonPC wrote: testing JVM in /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.111-1.b16.fc24.x86_64 ...
As you can see, it want version 1.6 ONLY of JVM and you have 1.8. bla, bla, bla.
ReimonPC

Post by ReimonPC »

marianomarini wrote:
ReimonPC wrote: testing JVM in /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.111-1.b16.fc24.x86_64 ...
As you can see, it want version 1.6 ONLY of JVM and you have 1.8. bla, bla, bla.
Yes, I can see, and there is no 1.6 in repositories, so I'd like some guidance on what to do next. Of course, getting 1.6 is next. I need help on that. Maybe compile?
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Yes, I can see, and there is no 1.6 in repositories, so I'd like some guidance on what to do next. Of course, getting 1.6 is next. I need help on that. Maybe compile?
See the rviertel suggestion!
efrancis

Post by efrancis »

I can confirm that the steps listed in the Installation Instructions section of that askubuntu page should be distro-agnostic. I had to do similar when getting it set up on my fresh PCLinuxOS install which only has Java 8 in the repos (which I did rather blindly, but knowing that newer versions of the java runtime are backwards-compatible, took a bit of finagling to get the install script updated though. knowing about the patch would have saved me quite a bit of time and effort).

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”