Indexing with Linux

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
cannona-p40

Post by cannona-p40 »

thedqs wrote:Problem with SSH Tunnel is you need a target machine to tunnel through. Most people don't have that access.
True, although, I'm sure one of us, perhaps even me, could come up with something for the poster to use, if its just for a test. Anyway, the point is likely moot in light of previous posts.

Aaron
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

jkarras wrote:The CLOSE_WAIT state means that the close process has started. The first of the FIN flags have been sent. So actually the program has finished communicating. If a program was waiting for data netstat would not show this. It would just show ESTABLISHED. This you would have to look to the program for that kind of information not the TCP stack. If the program could not connect you would probably see the SYN_SENT stuck until the timer expires.

FYI my computer shows the same traceroute. It is a firewall blocking the echo requests. You can see the same things with other providers that like to do that.

It also should be noted that the IP you were tracerouting is http://www.familysearchindexing.org. So the fact that you could browse to get the jnlp file shows that it is not a network issue. The issue must be with the Java version or some other problem.

Is this the first time you have run this program? I seem to remember a similar problem when I told the system to go offline. It wouldn't work correct after that. I had to delete the java web start cache to get the program to reload. It should also be noted that I was using Java 6 it may have even been a beta of Java 6 at the time. I have not used the indexing application for a while but I do remember those problems.

Jonathan
Thanks for the explanations about TCP state and the identity of the IP address. I wonder whether there's a reason there is apparently no reverse DNS entry. (If there's not a reason for a lack of reverse DNS entry, maybe somebody should look into that.)

Freemind and the WmTest program mentioned earlier work fine. I tried WmTest with both Java 1.5.0_13 and 1.6, and it works fine with both. The Java 1.6 javaws viewer does have a problem, but the 1.5 viewer works fine.

My first attempt with the indexing application was with Java 1.5.0_09, and it didn't work. Since then, I installed Java 1.5.0_13 and 1.6.0_03. With Java 1.6, the indexing application puts up a second window, smaller and slightly darker background and entirely blank. With Java 1.5, it only puts up the one window. In both cases, the main application window GUI elements are dead in the water, and the main window is blank except for the top menu bar and the bottom status bar.

I have removed the directories and files created by the application (jobq.dat iArchives .java /tmp/iislock) several times just to get rid of any possible old dirt. There is never a difference in symptoms based on old file/directory removal (other than having to download the code).

Are there any other known things to check, odd ports that have to be open, etc.? If not, I guess I'll find out how the support folks handle odd cases.

Thanks for all the efforts to help.
The_Earl

Post by The_Earl »

rmrichesjr wrote: Are there any other known things to check, odd ports that have to be open, etc.? If not, I guess I'll find out how the support folks handle odd cases.

The JNLP file is just a text file that calls out the JARS and whatnot. You may look in it for more information.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

rmrichesjr wrote:Thanks for the explanations about TCP state and the identity of the IP address. I wonder whether there's a reason there is apparently no reverse DNS entry. (If there's not a reason for a lack of reverse DNS entry, maybe somebody should look into that.)

Freemind and the WmTest program mentioned earlier work fine. I tried WmTest with both Java 1.5.0_13 and 1.6, and it works fine with both. The Java 1.6 javaws viewer does have a problem, but the 1.5 viewer works fine.

My first attempt with the indexing application was with Java 1.5.0_09, and it didn't work. Since then, I installed Java 1.5.0_13 and 1.6.0_03. With Java 1.6, the indexing application puts up a second window, smaller and slightly darker background and entirely blank. With Java 1.5, it only puts up the one window. In both cases, the main application window GUI elements are dead in the water, and the main window is blank except for the top menu bar and the bottom status bar.

I have removed the directories and files created by the application (jobq.dat iArchives .java /tmp/iislock) several times just to get rid of any possible old dirt. There is never a difference in symptoms based on old file/directory removal (other than having to download the code).

Are there any other known things to check, odd ports that have to be open, etc.? If not, I guess I'll find out how the support folks handle odd cases.

I know that Linux is not officially supported by the indexing project but I'll pass along the information anyway.

Tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

rmrichesjr wrote:I wonder whether there's a reason there is apparently no reverse DNS entry. (If there's not a reason for a lack of reverse DNS entry, maybe somebody should look into that.)

If you are talking about getting the DNS name from an IP you can only go so far. Some DNS servers will not release a name to a list. Others will. Windows' PING command has an option a that will do a basic DNS reverse lookup. Also I found this site http://www.zoneedit.com/lookup.html that will do forward and reverse lookups BUT it only gets the parent company that owns the IPs not any site web address.
- David
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Might this help, or am I off track with this one?

I've gotten listings of domains on a particular IP via this site. You first have to know the domain or IP address, including any that are listed as the nameserver domains.

http://whois.webhosting.info/

Does not always work, particularly in relation to some disreputable hosts, the kind that have been deliberately set up to host those that try to abuse the net or the email systems on it. But it works a good part of the time. You can plug in an IP or a domain name into the search box and get results a good majority of the time.

DNSStuff.com also has some interesting tools as well.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

thedqs wrote:If you are talking about getting the DNS name from an IP you can only go so far. Some DNS servers will not release a name to a list. Others will. Windows' PING command has an option a that will do a basic DNS reverse lookup. Also I found this site http://www.zoneedit.com/lookup.html that will do forward and reverse lookups BUT it only gets the parent company that owns the IPs not any site web address.
JamesAnderson wrote:Might this help, or am I off track with this one?

I've gotten listings of domains on a particular IP via this site. You first have to know the domain or IP address, including any that are listed as the nameserver domains.

http://whois.webhosting.info/

Does not always work, particularly in relation to some disreputable hosts, the kind that have been deliberately set up to host those that try to abuse the net or the email systems on it. But it works a good part of the time. You can plug in an IP or a domain name into the search box and get results a good majority of the time.

DNSStuff.com also has some interesting tools as well.
The Linux 'host' command does forward or reverse DNS lookup, and it works on almost all IP addresses. The 'whois' command can at least get close on many others. Being as 'host' does reverse lookup of most IP addresses, I just found it a bit odd that this one had nothing.
jkarras-p40

Post by jkarras-p40 »

Reverse DNS lookups ( nslookup ip.goes.here.) only work if the owner of the block of IP's has set them up. When setting up a forward DNS it does not automatically setup a reverse DNS. This depends on a few factors. Which DNS server software you use and if your DNS server answers authoritatively for those IP blocks. Most of the time the ISP or hosting provider owns the IPs and thus the reverse DNS must be modified by them.

In short forward DNS resolution doesn't mean there will be a corresponding reverse. A good example of this is the dyndns.org services. You could get thisisatest.homeip.com to point to your home computer on your cable connection. When doing a reverse lookup on said ip you will see something completely different. Comcast for example does the following c-98-202-38-142.hsd1.ut.comcast.net
this is quite common on connections of this type.

A previous poster mentioned using whois to find the owner of the IP. Whois will show the owner of the IP addresses or of domain names. Most of the time the owners of IP blocks are the ISP or hosting service which the service you are trying to access belongs to.

I just thought I would clarify the reason for no reverse DNS. Not to get the thread off topic.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Thanks for the info about reverse vs. forward DNS.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Solved?

Post by rmrichesjr »

I think I stumbled upon the solution to the problem that was blocking me from indexing, the problem that the application window was blank except for the top menu bar and bottom status bar.

The "License Agreements' alias "FamilySearch? INDEXING PARTICIPATION AGREEMENT" window was coming up no more than 2 pixels on a side. I just happened to notice a fly-speck-looking blip that wouldn't go away. Resizing it to a decent size showed the agreement. Reading the legalese and clicking the buttons brought up some content into the application window.

Has anyone else had the agreement window come up only a pixel or two wide and tall? If so, let's file a bug report.

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”