HD Video Distribution in New Meetinghouses

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
mevans

Re: HD Video Distribution in New Meetinghouses

Postby mevans » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:01 am

russellhltn wrote:
mevans wrote:We currently have 5 modulators. I wonder how we'll distribute languages to different rooms.

I guess that would depend on if the audio is distributed via the HDMI or some other way. Except for ASL, I think it's all the same video.

Yes, ASL is different video. Also the chapel camera is different video.

Audio is a good question. I hope it's coming over HDMI.

Many years ago I went to a nearby stake to help them solve satellite problems between conference sessions. If I remember correctly, at that time, that stake had a button panel where they selected the audio feed for each room's ceiling speaker and they didn't have modulators for each language, so it's possible they'll do a panel like that for choosing the HDMI feed to each room.

Historical musings I vaguely remember an a/v remodel we had in the early 1990s and I think the church wasn't into modulators at that time and we had to push to get modulators for the languages, as someone at the church didn't think modulators were a good idea. I think our stake's original satellite system was installed in the early 1980s by the stake before the rise of the FM group. Whoever installed that used modulators. We had done some enhancements, including adding a BNC patch panel. I was sad to see all the BNC connectors lose out to F connectors with church standardization, although I did take a liking to the AVS-1 control panel they installed. We actually hung onto that panel through a subsequent remodel. Even though it had been discontinued, when we asked the a/v architect about it, he said he liked that panel and would leave it in.

johnshaw

Postby johnshaw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:42 am

mevans wrote:Thanks for the info, johnshaw. Was there any explanation as to why they didn't upgrade the rest of the rooms? The building where I saw it done did get HDMI in the other rooms (using the Extron cat 6 connection someone referenced above).

This is one of the bigger problems when an STS --> HC --> FM --> Contractor is the process. When the HC and I walked through the issues with the CCTV we understood that it would be a focus of the work.

mevans wrote:Did they install HDMI out in the chapel for the projector for satellite broadcasts?

Yes for my install there is an input and and output at the podium.

There was NO change to audio Distribution or for that matter video distribution from the Cabinet to the rest of the building.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

mevans

Postby mevans » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:50 pm

They just started the A/V remodel in our stake center. I'll try to report back on what they ended up doing.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”