Help! Trying to connect to the chapel sound system

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
carolinswetland

Help! Trying to connect to the chapel sound system

Post by carolinswetland »

I've got everything figured out and working beautifully to stream our services... except the sound, which is the most important!

I want to connect my laptop to the chapel sound system.

While I am technically inclined, I know nothing about audio equipment.

After spending hours last week reading the forum, I bought what I thought was needed but it didn't work at all and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to buy to get it to work. This is what I bought and why...

The splitter I thought would convert the 3.5mm line out trrs to trs, which would allow me to use a trs cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M0T6P ... JXXC&psc=1

The USB to 3.5mm I thought would act as an attenuator, which after reading the description again, I don't think it will:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/re ... CFbSASF060

And a long cable to connect it all:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076S1DM ... OVH4&psc=1

I tried connecting the splitter to cable to USB adapter as well as splitter to headphones directly.

Zero sound either way.

I don't even know if I'm using the right connection at the church. Attached is a photo of the outlet.

I was using the "Tape recorder" Jack top 3.5mm connection. It's located on the wall 15 feet from the sacrament table near the choir seating of our very old building in FL.

So my ultimate questions...

1- Is the jack in the attached photo the right jack to connect to the chapel sounds system?

2- What do I need to return from the 3 things listed above?

3- What do I need to do or buy to get the sound to connect to my laptop?
Attachments
2B91DDC7-A0FA-4529-AFED-0D252B093C9A.jpeg
(2.79 MiB) Not downloaded yet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Help! Trying to connect to the chapel sound system

Post by russellhltn »

carolinswetland wrote:The splitter I thought would convert the 3.5mm line out trrs to trs, which would allow me to use a trs cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M0T6P ... JXXC&psc=1
That will help if your laptop has a "headset" TRRS jack. If it has a "mic" jack, then you're already there.

carolinswetland wrote:The USB to 3.5mm I thought would act as an attenuator, which after reading the description again, I don't think it will:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/re ... CFbSASF060
Doesn't look like it.

I'd suggest looking at the Getting Audio right with Virtual Sacrament Meeetings thread.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

carolinswetland wrote:1- Is the jack in the attached photo the right jack to connect to the chapel sounds system?
Yep. Looks very similar to mine, only mine was dead. Apparently disconnected when the audio system was overhauled some years ago.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:
carolinswetland wrote:Looks very similar to mine, only mine was dead. Apparently disconnected when the audio system was overhauled some years ago.
I've got one building where it's dead. I'm suspecting something chewed though the cable, but someone is going to have to go in the crawl space under the stand to find out. I have no plans on doing that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

You have the correct jack for the sound system. Not sure what you mean by "I tried connecting the splitter to cable to USB adapter as well as splitter to headphones directly." Either of those adapters should work, but you wouldn't want to use both together. One catch is that there are two types of TRRS cables.
Craig
STS
South Jordan, UT
carolinswetland

Thanks for the comments!

So after reading the article linked below that was super helpful, I definitely have the right connection jack but the wrong cables.

download/file.php?id=4319

I think I'll return the adapters, keep the cable and buy the headset buddy adapter as suggested in the article.

If anyone thinks there's a better approach, I'm all ears.

Is there a way to test if the connection in the building is dead before I go through the trouble of returning and buying stuff?
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

carolinswetland wrote:So after reading the article linked below that was super helpful, I definitely have the right connection jack but the wrong cables.

download/file.php?id=4319

I think I'll return the adapters, keep the cable and buy the headset buddy adapter as suggested in the article.

If anyone thinks there's a better approach, I'm all ears.

Is there a way to test if the connection in the building is dead before I go through the trouble of returning and buying stuff?
Although a headphone output is different, you should be able to plug in some headphones/earphones to the output jack and hear something.

The only difference with that adapter is it has an attenuator, which you may or may not need. Another user here said his computer let him choose between mic in and line in. I would try those adapters again after verifying them jack via headphones.
Craig
STS
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:Another user here said his computer let him choose between mic in and line in.
It did, but it appears to have been a false hope.

carolinswetland

I did a little bit of testing the other day...

Using headphones directly to the wall, I got no sound.
Using headphones connected to the splitter which was directly connected to the wall, I got no sound.

So should I go back to the building and test to see if I can get any sound from the tape record jack? What would I do to test?

Or does it seem like my jack is dead?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

carolinswetland wrote:Using headphones directly to the wall, I got no sound.
So should I go back to the building and test to see if I can get any sound from the tape record jack? What would I do to test?
When you say "the wall" what are you referring to if not the tape record jack?

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”