Help! Trying to connect to the chapel sound system

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
carolinswetland

Re: Help! Trying to connect to the chapel sound system

Post by carolinswetland »

russellhltn wrote: When you say "the wall" what are you referring to if not the tape record jack?
That was written a bit confusing. I was referring to the tape record jack when I was talking about the wall outlet.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

carolinswetland wrote:Using headphones directly to the wall, I got no sound.
Using headphones connected to the splitter which was directly connected to the wall, I got no sound.
While I like the theory of checking the sound with a set of headphones, I'm not too sure how well it works - especially when you're trying to hear a sound in the earphone when the same sound is coming though the speakers. You may have to plug/unplug to detect the difference.

Note that the sound will be in only one ear (probably "left"), so you'd have to check both sides.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:
carolinswetland wrote:Using headphones directly to the wall, I got no sound.
Using headphones connected to the splitter which was directly connected to the wall, I got no sound.
While I like the theory of checking the sound with a set of headphones, I'm not too sure how well it works - especially when you're trying to hear a sound in the earphone when the same sound is coming though the speakers. You may have to plug/unplug to detect the difference.

Note that the sound will be in only one ear (probably "left"), so you'd have to check both sides.
I monitored the sound with headphones during our whole stake conference. If you don't have good headphones with cups that help isolate the outside noise, it can be difficult. I don't have that type of headphones and often times put my hands over the headphones to try blocking the chapel sound. With the help of my hands I was able to monitor things okay.

As far as the record out jack, it's possible it doesn't work. We found it was broken at one of our buildings, but the sound system happens to be getting redone this week, so that should fix the problem.
jeremywillden

Post by jeremywillden »

We also have one building with a broken "record out" jack. Going to ask the FM group to get it fixed, as tracing the cable with a telecom tone generator hasn't yielded any results. In the mean time, a long mic cable from the rack to the stream encoder does the trick.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

jeremywillden wrote:We also have one building with a broken "record out" jack. Going to ask the FM group to get it fixed, as tracing the cable with a telecom tone generator hasn't yielded any results. In the mean time, a long mic cable from the rack to the stream encoder does the trick.
TRS jacks and plugs are known to build up a layer of oxidation on the contact surfaces over the years. A simple fix is to insert a plug into the jack 5-10-20 times to break down the oxidation. After this procedure, plugin a set of headphones, have someone talk into pulpit mic, and listen as you wiggle the connection. You should hear audio in one ear. If you still don't hear anything then you DO need to replace the jack.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

CalS201 wrote:If you still don't hear anything then you DO need to replace the jack.
If only it was that simple. I have one chapel where the line coming into it is open. Not sure if it was disconnected in a upgrade or if a rodent chewed though the wire. When I inquired, FM didn't seem motivated. I'd have to wait until it became an issue. Fortunately, it's just one chapel in the stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ptroth

Post by ptroth »

We have found multiple methods for converting the audio.

We used this adapter to adapt from line level to mic level as most laptops don't take line level.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OAW85ZG/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Then if the laptop will not take the line directly we found 2 options
Option 1 - easier solution.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085Z ... UTF8&psc=1

Option 2 - This was our original solution but Option 1 is easier.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H2GJ7B5
TRRS to USB audio adapter
and this together.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RV6VBNR

[Moderator note: Fixed broken links]

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”