Zoom Basic vs. Enterprise

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
drepouille

Zoom Basic vs. Enterprise

Post by drepouille »

Please verify and comment on my summary below.

Teachers of second-hour classes should be able to use free personal accounts on the Zoom Basic plan to schedule and conduct a small class up to 40 minutes.

The Free Zoom Basic Plan provides:
- Host up to 100 participants
- Group meetings for up to 40 minutes
- Unlimited one-on-one Meetings

The Zoom accounts provided by the church have Enterprise licenses.
See https://zoom.us/pricing

What do you not get with a free Zoom Basic plan?
- 101-500 participants
- Group meetings from 40 minutes to 30 hours
- Dial-in access to meetings
- Streamed meetings to social media (Facebook, YouTube, etc.)
- Cloud storage of recorded meetings
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Zoom Basic vs. Enterprise

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:Please verify and comment on my summary below.
Your basic premise is good, but I have three comments.

First, wards with more than 100 sacrament meeting connections would have to find another way to broadcast because they would not be able to distribute the meeting using Zoom.

Second, most ward councils, elders quorum and Relief Society presidency meetings last more than 40 minutes.

Third, it is highly unlikely that the Church is paying anything even close to the rate shown on the Zoom pricing chart.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:Second, most ward councils, elders quorum and Relief Society presidency meetings last more than 40 minutes.
For us, many members have let us know they are starved for social contact and greatly enjoy doing so, virtually, 15-20 minutes prior to a 2nd hour meeting's start time and at least that much after. Hard to do that on a strict 40 minute time limit. I see it as a great way to strengthen the well being of our ward by letting members visit online.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

lajackson wrote:First, wards with more than 100 sacrament meeting connections would have to find another way to broadcast because they would not be able to distribute the meeting using Zoom.
I was specifically talking about second-hour classes. I would never use a free account for Sacrament meeting.
Second, most ward councils, elders quorum and Relief Society presidency meetings last more than 40 minutes.
We hold a 90-minute block. Fifty minutes for Sacrament meeting, ten minute break, and 30 minutes for second-hour classes. If they run more than 40 minutes, they need to be cut off.
Third, it is highly unlikely that the Church is paying anything even close to the rate shown on the Zoom pricing chart.
Good point. But if I had purchased a Zoom license for my ward back in July, I would have been paying full price, as a single buyer.
For us, many members have let us know they are starved for social contact and greatly enjoy doing so, virtually, 15-20 minutes prior to a 2nd hour meeting's start time and at least that much after. Hard to do that on a strict 40 minute time limit. I see it as a great way to strengthen the well being of our ward by letting members visit online.
Our members prefer to remain muted throughout the entire meeting block. I have tried casting the Google Meet to a TV, so online participants can talk back to the teacher, but they prefer to type their comments in the chat window. I finally gave up trying to get them to turn on their camera and mic during Gospel Doctrine classes -- they refuse.

Since we are switching to Zoom next Sunday, I scheduled a virtual ward New Year's Eve party on Dec 31st. My goal is to get everyone to freely communicate as they learn the Zoom interface. I will even create breakout rooms so they can drift and chat freely. Let's hope they will show up and loosen up.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:We hold a 90-minute block. Fifty minutes for Sacrament meeting, ten minute break, and 30 minutes for second-hour classes. If they run more than 40 minutes, they need to be cut off.
At some point I'd expect the normal schedule to resume where classes would be 50 minutes. You may want to look at what level of authority is shortening the schedule and take a guess as to when they will return to what's outlined in the Handbook.

The timing of the normal schedule and terminating virtual meetings is uncertain. Given what a blessing this has been for shut-ins, I'm not making any bets that it will terminate. Especially if you've already been successful in integrating live and virtual classes.

While it's convenient to have teachers use personal accounts, you may want to consider bringing all the meetings under the ward account.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:You may want to look at what level of authority is shortening the schedule and take a guess as to when they will return to what's outlined in the Handbook.
Actually, the First Presidency authorized shortened meetings in their May 19, 2020, letter.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:
russellhltn wrote:You may want to look at what level of authority is shortening the schedule and take a guess as to when they will return to what's outlined in the Handbook.
Actually, the First Presidency authorized shortened meetings in their May 19, 2020, letter.
I missed that. Yes, shortened meetings in "Phase 1", but not "Phase 2". No indication that virtual meetings will stop when existing Phase 1.

Taken at face value, normal length meetings with a virtual component will be coming at some point.

I'd plan accordingly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

On October 2nd, my stake presidency sent out a letter to all bishops (and followed up with a virtual meeting on October 4th).

"The North America Central Area Presidency has authorized stakes in the Area to implement Phase II pandemic response procedures while staying consistent with guidance from local and state governmental direction."

"Units should plan for a 1.5 hour “block” of meetings each Sunday." ... "Second hour – 35 minutes"

But your point is well taken that we may have to plan for second-hour classes longer than 40 minutes at some point in the future. If those classes need to use the ward Zoom account, we will make the change then. Our youth and Sunday School leaders were not in favor of using Zoom breakout rooms for the youth second-hour meetings. So we are left with the choice of using free personal Zoom accounts to schedule separate meetings OR trying to use the ward Zoom account to run two separate but concurrent meetings.

Challenges all around.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”