Successful virtual stake conference to English and Spanish

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Successful virtual stake conference to English and Spanish

Postby barkeraj » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:07 pm

I just thought I’d pass along all the fun we did for out virtual stake conference… some necessary, some not so much.

Basic details
Services used - Zoom AND Church Webcast
OBS - Used to manage multiple cameras and videos to play for hymns
Two cameras - One Canon 7d and one iPhone 12 pro
Home made current camera indicator lights

Broadcast Services
We sent all Spanish users to Zoom and English users to Church Webcast. Zoom has the translation features built in where you can designate user(s) as translators and they can create an alternate audio stream for those users who want to hear it.
Due to the 500 connection limit on Zoom we didn’t want to use it as the primary broadcast location. We knew that zoom can send surplus users to another service, but if 500 English users logged in there would be no space for the Spanish users. So we only had Spanish users use Zoom to ensue there would be no running into the limit.

We sent all English users to Church Webcast. We had used YouTube in the past, but preferred the lack of “distractions” YouTube comes with. We had around 630 streams for English, so we made the right call in not having everyone use zoom.

Translators were in the high council room and the translation portion with zoom translation options was flawless.

Broadcast software
We used OBS to be the video/audio mixer. We streamed straight from OBS to Church Webcast using the rtmp stream option. Then we output from OBS to zoom to broadcast from there. I’m on a Mac and used NDI Tools to get video/audio from OBS to Zoom. Here is a tutorial I followed to get it setup.

Cameras/Software
I had an old Canon 7d DSLR and used the EOS Webcast Software to serve up the camera feed as a webcam.

We also used an iPhone 12 pro with the Camo app to use the iPhone as a webcam. The software is subscription only and $40 per year, so I just did the one month subscription ($5) and cancelled it after a month.

We used both cameras to give some “texture” to the broadcast with a straight on (DSLR) and angled (iPhone) shot. I could change to one that was wider while adjusting the other one based on speaker height, switch to that one and adjust the other.

With the two cameras my son and I worked up a pretty klugey camera indicator light so the speakers could know which camera was currently being used. It came back to a light switch that I would manually switch when I switched cameras. It worked out well and you could see speakers looking straight into the camera and changing to follow the lights. In the attached images you can see a green light in front of the iPhone on the right. That is the indicator light, there was a matching one just under the DSLR.

Monitoring/chapel audio
I used two ipads to keep an eye on the two webcasts (one each), then output from the zoom ipad to a TV in the room. The TV was used so people in the room could hear the MoTab videos we used for hymns. We had to use zoom so it wouldn't have a very large delay (like 1/2 a second) instead of the Church Webcast which was 30 seconds. We would mute it when not having hymns so that we wouldn't have an "echo" of the speakers.

That is all kind of scattered but hopefully you get the idea. Happy to answer questions if anyone has any, but figured some documentation of how we did it is better than nothing :)

IMG_0048 (1).jpeg
View from pulpit
(168.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_0047 (1).jpeg
View from broadcast central
(157.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet

ericwest

Re: Successful virtual stake conference to English and Spanish

Postby ericwest » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:47 pm

We recently did a similar stake conference with multiple cameras and used OBS, webcast 3.0 and Zoom for Spanish and Hmong translation. To provide audio for those in the physical room, I set my MacBook Pro running OBS, and set all choir videos to "monitor and output" in the audio preferences. I then connected the headphone output to the house audio system via a mic input and adapted using a Rapco Horizon 3.5mm to XLR mic level adapter. For video I used the "Projector output" in OBS to send a program video feed to two separates flat screen TVs so that those on the stand could see and hear all pre-recorded content. Just thought I would share in case that helped anyone.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”