Software Study Journal

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
garylm-p40

Post by garylm-p40 »

I think the CD version to which I keep referring is closely tied to Hamilton-Locke's Wordcruncher software. The viewer is "free," but to get the added functionality that we're talking about, you'd need at least the writer module, and that's $1000.

Maybe our Odn friend represents Hamilton-Locke and can persuade them to add all of the goodies we're wanting for cheap.

Also, there are probably some Hamilton-Locke people hanging out here, so I won't say any more about cracking their archived text. Sorry.
mkmurray

CD version?

Post by mkmurray »

garylm wrote:It looks like you are leaning toward the online only thing. However, with a little processing of the text on the front end, the same viewer could be used for both the lds.org version and the CD version.
How do you tie into the CD version? Is there some API you can call when the CD version is installed locally?

Are you referring to the CD version the Church distributes?
thegordo

Post by thegordo »

garylm wrote: It looks like you are leaning toward the online only thing. However, with a little processing of the text on the front end, the same viewer could be used for both the lds.org version and the CD version.
I am leaning towards a version that would get the text from online, and depending on what the church would allow us to do, store it locally so it can be used off line as well. It would require an initial internet connection, and then possibly not. The idea i have with other things would be to import talks and other items of interest at the users request. The best example i can think of that most people know about is something like Google's Picasa with Picasa web albums. You have a certain amount of functionality in the desktop client, but it can connect to a web site service that provides a functionality on its own, but also integrates with the desktop client.
garylm-p40

Post by garylm-p40 »

mkmurray wrote:How do you tie into the CD version? Is there some API you can call when the CD version is installed locally?

Are you referring to the CD version the Church distributes?
Yes, it's the version distributed by the Church.

As far as I can tell there are three dll's: VPgmEN.dll, VProdEN.dll, and VPub.dll.

I haven't tried Ildasm or anything to see what methods might be available in those libraries.

The data files have extensions .etb and .etx
garylm-p40

Post by garylm-p40 »

Ildasm didn't find any recognizable header information in those dll's.

I think the door might be closed to us for developing something around the electronic text on the Church-distributed CD, but you can find more information about Wordcruncher at: url=http://wordcruncher.byu.edu/wordcruncher/

Other than the online version and the Wordcruncher version, the only electronic English quad that I know of is the Folio Views/Infobases version. Find more information at:
http://www.ldsinfobase.net/

It looks like Folio Views might actually allow you to edit your Infobase, meaning that you could add highlights and annotations.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I am now the second developer of this project on SourceForge. There is a forum over there where these discussions can continue. To be added to a source forge project, you must email the lead admin for the project with your source forge username. Just search for "Scripture Study Plus" in the SourceForge projects and click thegordo's name to email him through the SourceForge site.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Here's the project link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scripstudyplus/

I am an admin now too so I guess I can also approve adding people to the project.

By the way, I just posted in the SourceForge forums my ranking of the top 15 features that I think should go into the app. I appreciate anyone's feedback. Thanks.
bhofmann-p40

Post by bhofmann-p40 »

mkmurray wrote:Here's the project link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/scripstudyplus/

I am an admin now too so I guess I can also approve adding people to the project.

By the way, I just posted in the SourceForge forums my ranking of the top 15 features that I think should go into the app. I appreciate anyone's feedback. Thanks.
I didn't see it in the forums. Is it something I can only see if I've been added to the project?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

bhofmann wrote:I didn't see it in the forums. Is it something I can only see if I've been added to the project?
Yes there is a Developers forum that is only viewable by those who are added as contributors to the project. Sorry about that. Join up though! :D
chess-p40

Software study software

Post by chess-p40 »

Where will this software be announced when it is ready?

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”