Question: Is Church working on Scout Rank/Advancement tracking program?

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
jjohansson

Question: Is Church working on Scout Rank/Advancement tracking program?

Post by jjohansson »

Tried to ask this at LDStech wiki, but it appears to be down, I enter Q in the Q box, and it just locks up when trying to send. Anyway, maybe someone here has an answer to:

I am scoutmaster in my ward *(Bloomfield Hills, Michigan; Bloomfield Hills Michigan Stake) and we have held off on buying Scout rank advancement tracking software for the last year because someone "heard" the Church was working on a program thru LDS.org).

Is there anything that will be usable in the next 6 months or so?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jjohansson wrote:Tried to ask this at LDStech wiki, but it appears to be down, I enter Q in the Q box, and it just locks up when trying to send.

I see no indications that the wiki is down or has been down recently. It's not clear to me how or where you were trying to ask a question there, but it really doesn't matter. The Forum is a much better place to post questions anyway, so you've taken the best approach by posting here.
jjohansson wrote:I am scoutmaster in my ward *(Bloomfield Hills, Michigan; Bloomfield Hills Michigan Stake) and we have held off on buying Scout rank advancement tracking software for the last year because someone "heard" the Church was working on a program thru LDS.org).

Is there anything that will be usable in the next 6 months or so?

The Church rarely shares its long-range plans for new applications, but I haven't heard anything about any such application being in the works. In my opinion, the list of improvements that need to be added to the many current applications is sufficiently long that scouting applications would be a lower priority. So I find it hard to believe that a new application (that we have not even heard any hints of being in development) would be developed, beta tested, and released in the next 6 months.

That's just my opinion; perhaps someone in the know will see this thread and make a comment.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jjohansson

Post by jjohansson »

The reason I want to know is that we have held off on investing in third party software for a while, on the hope something will come to fruition on LDS.org, much like they do for the new online Duty to God tracking. If we dont get a pretty affirmative answer here, we are going to go ahead and purchase our own. Just wanted to double check before we spent money.
dewittk

Post by dewittk »

I would LOVE to see a church based Scouting record keeping program. Any updates from anyone on this?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dewittk wrote:I would LOVE to see a church based Scouting record keeping program. Any updates from anyone on this?
There are no updates on what seems pretty clearly to be nothing more than a rumor.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
james_francisco

Re: Question: Is Church working on Scout Rank/Advancement tr

Post by james_francisco »

Scouting rank advancement is so specialized by country that even though the church only authorizes scouting in a handful of nations, it would still be a poor investment of resources away from projects that support more universal church operations. There are at least two commercially available applications that support both scouting advancement and DTG tracking.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”