Scripture marking & notating

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
dtbrewer

Postby dtbrewer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:53 pm

What would be ESPECIALLY nice is if there were a standard schema created and published for defining scriptural annotations/markups. Something that allowed for citing specific scriptures (and portions of scriptures), as well as colored underlining, colored highlighting, comments, cross-references, etc., etc.

SOMETHING so that note taking could have portability!

Have you considered making yours available? Has the Church ever considered doing something along those lines?

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:06 pm

D.Ty.Brewer wrote:What would be ESPECIALLY nice is if there were a standard schema created and published for defining scriptural annotations/markups. Something that allowed for citing specific scriptures (and portions of scriptures), as well as colored underlining, colored highlighting, comments, cross-references, etc., etc.

Have you considered making yours available? Has the Church ever considered doing something along those lines?

Take a look at the iPhone Scriptures Application community development project that is getting underway -- it seems to have the potential for some of the elements you are interested in. And if it's not exactly what you are looking for, since the project is in its early stages, you could give your input.

dtbrewer

Postby dtbrewer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:28 pm

What would be ESPECIALLY nice is if there were a standard schema created and published for defining scriptural annotations/markups. Something that allowed for citing specific scriptures (and portions of scriptures), as well as colored underlining, colored highlighting, comments, cross-references, etc., etc.

mkmurray

Postby mkmurray » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:49 am

D.Ty.Brewer wrote:What would be ESPECIALLY nice is if there were a standard schema created and published for defining scriptural annotations/markups. Something that allowed for citing specific scriptures (and portions of scriptures), as well as colored underlining, colored highlighting, comments, cross-references, etc., etc.

Also, way back the Church did write up a short technical document posted on the main page of LDSTech that discusses a URL schema for the online scriptures hosted on LDS.org. It describes how to link to particular book, chapters, verses (including ranges or lists of verses), footnotes, etc. Depending on what granularity you link to, the URL will automatically highlight verses for you.

Here is a link to the article: http://tech.lds.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=79

This may not be exactly what you are looking for as far as annotating and saving markings, but it is an interesting capability of the current online scriptures hosted by the Church.
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!

Jobjob-p40

Postby Jobjob-p40 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:48 am

Just for fun, I googled “marking scriptures.” The first three results are Mormon sites. Result #4 does not have anything to do with scripture marking, but is a Bible site that encourages bookmarking. Then it’s back to the Mormon sites. Only one other site in the Top 10 results is from another denomination.

Maybe I have the jargon wrong. How about “highlighting scriptures”? Well, that brings a whole new raft of results, none of which has anything to do with using ink or pencil … until Result #6: “Book of Mormon Study Guide.” I also tried “underlining scriptures,” and received mixed results, with a few links to non-Mormon resources, but not many.

Then I hit paydirt: “Bible marking”! Whew! We are not alone.

I still wonder whether we are sane. We buy scripture marking supplies. And we develop special color-coded marking programs. But why?

If most people mark scriptures as an aid in locating meaningful passages in the future, they do a very poor job of it. Last week in Priesthood meeting, for example, one of the members of our ward sitting near me opened his scriptures to Alma 32. Everything was marked in read. Everything! Including the footnotes! With my usual tact, I asked, “Do you like that chapter?” Then he leafed through other parts of his book and revealed large splotches of red throughout. I don’t see how this sort of marking could possibly aid in finding particular passages.

In fairness to this fellow, I had done similar things before I stopped marking my scriptures. When I came upon a passage that had some meaning to me, I marked it. It doesn’t take very many times through the scriptures before large passages are marked. The funny thing about this exercise is that I never went back to the marked passages because they were marked. I went back because I wanted to re-read Alma 32. Once I realized that my marking was pointless as a finding tool, I gave up marking altogether. Now my scriptures of almost 20 years are as clean of highlights as the day I purchased them. They contain an occasional margin notation in lead pencil, but no colored marks.

In the age of electronic scriptures, marking seems even less relevant for finding scriptures. When I really need to find a scripture now, I search for it, either on my desktop or my PDA. Will electronic scriptures spell the end of the market for scripture marking pencils?

Probably not. Most of us will continue to use paper scriptures long into the future, and I suspect that most people do not use marking as a finding tool. If I were an anthropologist doing a Mormon ethnography, I would probably conclude that scripture marking is not functional, but merely a means of expressing of love for a particular passage. When people have been moved by the words of a prophet, they want to show it! Under this theory of scripture marking, the implicit goal is to have page after page of solid color. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

mevacor19

I Support SterlingB

Postby mevacor19 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:55 pm

I also strongly hope that Sterling's request be granted.

jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Postby jdcr256 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:55 am

I don't know about colored markings (I agree with a previous poster that it's kind of pointless), but one of the intentions of the mobile Gospel Library apps (provided by the community projects run by the church) and the upcoming LDS.Org is to have the ability to add personal notations to passages that will sync between the web version and whichever mobile version of the scriptures you are using.

That functionality is still somewhere in the future, but I know it is a goal of the projects. My guess is a year from now.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:44 am

Jobjob wrote:I still wonder whether we are sane. We buy scripture marking supplies. And we develop special color-coded marking programs. But why?

If most people mark scriptures as an aid in locating meaningful passages in the future, they do a very poor job of it.

Well, some member's practices have made for interesting fodder for humorists. I'm not a "marker" myself, but I've known a few people that are. They frequently use colors to classify passages. Not so much as as aid to finding them, but as a way of understanding "the forest", that is the structure, as you sit back and look at the page as a whole and not the individual words.

As such, I'm sure they'll still want some way to mark scriptures in color because it's something they won't be able to do with any of the current search technolgies.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

ldsaaronb

Postby ldsaaronb » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:18 pm

This is what I'm looking for:

• A way to select my favorite scriptures
  • A way to store my favorite scriptures in a list
  • A way to organize those lists in categories or folders
  • A simple interface with the scripture reference and then the first several words of the scripture.
  • The entries would fall in a simple thread.

This would help me to capture my favorite scriptures and easily refer back to them. I could simply go to the folder or category and then scroll through the list. Allows for quick reference and assists with memorization.

It would be fantastic if this was available through the internet application as well as the mobile app.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”