Linux

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

marianomarini_vi wrote:My vision is an LDS/GNULinux distribution, but I'm not a prophet, just a dreamer.
If I were a betting man, I'd say the church, if it went to any *nix, would use a BSD licensing scheme for its software. That seems more inline with past and present church software policies.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

marianomarini_vi wrote:I hope be able to contribute keeping a share friendly discussion.
Maybe we are looking the same thing from different point of view.
Let me show if I right understood the two.
My point of view is from a local environment, saying desktop use; tomw is looking from an higher an global point of view.
I tried many distribution, included Linspire. This means that I installed them in a desktop environment many and many times. Last is Suse 10.2 in a Compaq laptop with NVIDIA video and USB wi-fi. So I wonder to be the only one faithful member who made it in Italy or in other countries.
My point of view is that, maybe, we can create a network of Church's members Linux users (I hope make sense) as a basis of Linux migration.
My vision is an LDS/GNULinux distribution, but I'm not a prophet, just a dreamer.
If or when the Church does move to a linux distribution for desktops in ward houses, I do believe that local members will play an important part in supporting the machines, like they do now.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Tom
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

tomw wrote:If or when the Church does move to a linux distribution for desktops in ward houses, I do believe that local members will play an important part in supporting the machines, like they do now.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Tom
When that happens, please make sure to let us know so we can be there to offer any local help that may be needed.
danpass

IBM selling "Microsoft-free" PCs running Linux and OpenOffice in Eastern Europe

Post by danpass »

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other on this discussion, but thought this article might be of interest...
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

danpass wrote:I don't have strong feelings one way or the other on this discussion, but thought this article might be of interest...
Who knows why IBM sold. Probably so they could focus on making mainframes, which is there real money-maker.
danpass

Post by danpass »

AdrianLP wrote:Who knows why IBM sold. Probably so they could focus on making mainframes, which is there real money-maker.
This wasn't really the point of my posting. I meant that I don't have strong feelings regarding the subject of this forum thread. However, recognizing that we have Linux evangelists(;)) among us, I wanted to share this article.
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

danpass wrote:This wasn't really the point of my posting.
What was the point of the posting? It doesn't really seem relevant to whether the church should or should not use Linux.
danpass

Post by danpass »

AdrianLP wrote:What was the point of the posting? It doesn't really seem relevant to whether the church should or should not use Linux.
Of course not. I posted it here purely because I thought some readers of this thread might be interested.
McKenzie-p40

Post by McKenzie-p40 »

Church members using pirated software is commonplace in 3rd World countries. It's hard to tell them to do something different when those options are not available. I starting using Ubuntu Linux because I can not afford a Windows license on my three computers. For me, it was better to use something that was right when God then to use stolen software. The Church should be encouraging people to do what is right.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

McKenzie wrote:Church members using pirated software is commonplace in 3rd World countries. It's hard to tell them to do something different when those options are not available. I starting using Ubuntu Linux because I can not afford a Windows license on my three computers. For me, it was better to use something that was right when God then to use stolen software. The Church should be encouraging people to do what is right.
The Church does encourage all members to obey all laws. See the 12th article of faith.

Tom

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”