FAQ for Supporting New Youth Curriculum Digital Media

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
JamesAnderson

Re: FAQ for Supporting New Youth Curriculum Digital Media

Post by JamesAnderson »

I noted elsewhere that as far as those that cannot be downloaded due to copyright issues, chances are at least some of those are on other DVD sets that were produced some time ago and may still be available. An example I think is 'Those Who are Wise', for the December unit of the youth curriculum, it is found on the CES New Testament Media DVDs I think.

It is possible a couple of Mormon Messages may not be downloadable either, if that proves to be the case a good and reasonable substitute is to find the original Conference talk that was used and cue up the portion that was used for the video the talk segment was used for, most meetinghouses have a set of the Conference DVDs for the last few years at least, they started printing those in April 2001. All recent Conferences are also online at generalconference.lds.org so those are all downloadable as well.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

It's great to see the proposed content that needs to be published about digital media. I'm working on a help file that will hopefully clear up a few things, such as how to put media on a smartphone or tablet, how to burn a DVD, and so forth. I'll refer to the content you wrote here to make sure all of these topics are addressed.

Right now the main solution is to bring the media into the meetinghouse through existing devices (laptops, smartphones, tablets) that members may already have rather than have any FM group purchase equipment or recommend to members that they purchase equipment. A group will be adding some basic information to the Youth Curriculum page about playing media, but it probably won't be as up front and detailed as your proposal is.

When I have a draft of the help material for review, I'll push it out to this group.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

johnsonth wrote:...how to burn a DVD...
That part's easy, *IF* the church can provide us with all the needed files, or better yet, a couple of ISO's all ready to go. IMO, DVD's are the simplest way to play AV files on the vast majority of equipment already in place in the meetinghouses, without having to burden the church or local budgets with large upgrade expenses.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

johnsonth wrote:It's great to see the proposed content that needs to be published about digital media. I'm working on a help file that will hopefully clear up a few things, such as how to put media on a smartphone or tablet, how to burn a DVD, and so forth. I'll refer to the content you wrote here to make sure all of these topics are addressed.

Right now the main solution is to bring the media into the meetinghouse through existing devices (laptops, smartphones, tablets) that members may already have rather than have any FM group purchase equipment or recommend to members that they purchase equipment. A group will be adding some basic information to the Youth Curriculum page about playing media, but it probably won't be as up front and detailed as your proposal is.

When I have a draft of the help material for review, I'll push it out to this group.
johnsmith,

Please understand, my original post came from the FMG to all Stake Presidents and Stake PFR's (no STS were included) - the indication was that this was officially from the Church, or soon would be. This is not my own invention... just wanted to be sure that was clarified.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
mervson

Post by mervson »

Is anyone else having trouble downloading the .zip files of the collected videos?
I have attempted from home, the chapel and my job and the aaronic priesthood .zip file fails.
Does anyone have a list of the .zip contents?
Thanks,
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mervson wrote:Is anyone else having trouble downloading the .zip files of the collected videos?
I have attempted from home, the chapel and my job and the aaronic priesthood .zip file fails.
It took a while, but I was able to download it.
mervson wrote:Does anyone have a list of the .zip contents?
Here's the contents:

Code: Select all

Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\January\2008-06-01-the-restoration-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\January\2010-04-20-our-true-identity-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\January\2010-06-0080-fathers-and-sons-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\January\2010-08-16-voice-of-the-spirit-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\January\2011-03-50-i-am-a-son-of-god-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\January\2012-04-004-fulfilling-your-duty-to-god-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\January\2012-06-006-enemy-territory-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\January\2012-08-008-reclaimed-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\January\2012-10-002-godhead-he-knows-me-1000k-eng.mp4

Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\February\2010-05-11-until-we-meet-again-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\February\2010-07-0001-no-regrets-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\February\2010-07-002-the-plan-of-salvation-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\February\2010-11-0110-mormon-mustang-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\February\2010-12-09-inviting-all-to-come-unto-christ-sharing-the-gospel-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\February\2011-01-002-he-will-give-you-help-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\February\2011-05-003-chastity-what-are-the-limits-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\February\2011-11-020-mens-hearts-shall-fail-them-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\February\2012-02-003-god-will-lift-us-up-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\February\2012-04-004-fulfilling-your-duty-to-god-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\February\2012-07-007-stay-within-the-lines-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\February\2012-10-001-plan-of-salvation-were-still-a-family-1000k-eng.mp4

Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\March\2010-04-4060-president-thomas-s-monson-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\March\2010-05-0060-the-magnificent-priesthood-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\March\2010-07-14-forgiveness-my-burden-was-made-light-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\March\2010-12-0150-within-bounds-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\March\2011-09-005-sanctify-yourselves-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\March\2011-12-05-pure-and-simple-faith-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\March\2012-02-003-god-will-lift-us-up-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\March\2012-08-008-reclaimed-1000k-eng.mp4
Aaronic Priesthood - Jan-Mar\March\2012-10-003-atonement-not-a-one-time-thing-1000k-eng.mp4
danpass

Post by danpass »

JohnShaw wrote:Please understand, my original post came from the FMG to all Stake Presidents and Stake PFR's (no STS were included) - the indication was that this was officially from the Church, or soon would be. This is not my own invention... just wanted to be sure that was clarified.
I've been looking for an official publication or release of the article quoted in the OP. Is anyone aware if this has been done?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

danpass wrote:I've been looking for an official publication or release of the article quoted in the OP. Is anyone aware if this has been done?
If what was quoted in the OP was sent to our FMG, the FMG chose not to forward it on to the stake presidents in our area.

I am trying to remember if I saw it anywhere else except in that post.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

danpass wrote:I've been looking for an official publication or release of the article quoted in the OP. Is anyone aware if this has been done?
Our local FMG director is a very good communicator, and I've not heard from him anything like the message in the OP.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

My FM sent the following message to all stake presidents, bishops, and branch presidents in his service area.

Date: January 2, 2013, 11:15:26 AM CST
To: Undisclosed recipients:;
Subject: Church AV equipment supporting new youth curriculum

Bishops and Branch Presidents,

Regarding available audio visual equipment in our meetinghouses and how is can support the new youth curriculum. We recently received some information from the IT Department of the church, regarding use of digital media in supporting the new youth curriculum. Below are important points to consider in how digital media and associated existing audio visual equipment can be used:

- Though official Church digital media can be an excellent addition to any Church class, including those based on the new youth curriculum, please keep in mind that it is not a requirement for a successful, Spirit-filled lesson. When technology does not work in the way it is intended, it can distract from a lesson more than it helps. It is true, however, that the general direction of Church curriculum is trending toward the use of more multimedia content.

- Regarding the use of internet to teach a lesson: While this is a tempting option, we do not recommend that teachers rely on Meetinghouse Internet to play videos live while in a lesson. Many buildings do not have wireless internet throughout building, and others may not have adequate bandwidth to support live video playback; in addition, with the potential of multiple teachers attempting to stream videos at the same time during youth lessons, it is highly likely that live video streaming will not be successful but will result in pausing and freezing, which will detract from the spirit of the lesson. Showing live internet media is susceptible to many variables such as location, time of day, how many people are connected to both the wireless internet and the church servers (Sunday can be a busy day on the internet).

- If digital media is going to be used we strongly recommend that teachers download videos prior to using them in a lesson, either on a DVD, a personal portable device (such as a laptop or tablet), or onto a USB flash drive for playback on a USB player or a TV with USB video playback capabilities, or a video projector. You might consider having someone in the ward/branch download available videos to a series of DVD’s that can be available for checkout in the meetinghouse materials center.

- Though AV equipment is standardized, meetinghouse televisions vary in age and capability. All meetinghouses have televisions with DVD players that can play a downloaded video on a DVD. Many meetinghouses have a newer flat screen television(s) that has a USB player that can read a downloaded video from a USB flash drive. Many meetinghouses have a video projector and screen that will support a personal device such as a laptop to show a downloaded video. We have recently purchased a new device that will connect to older televisions that has a USB player that can read a downloaded video from a USB flash drive (generally these devices will be distributed in the month of January for those locations without a flats screen television(s), and may supplement older televisions at locations where a flat screen television(s) already exists, on a needs basis).

- If a video is not downloadable (a small number are not, because of copyright restrictions), it may be streamed wirelessly if wireless internet is available, but this is highly susceptible to problems. Not all meetinghouses have wireless coverage throughout the entire building.

- Downloading media to a personal device such as a laptop, tablet, or smartphone. For small classes (1-4 students), the video can be played directly from a personal laptop or tablet (smartphones are too small to be practical for group playback). For larger classes, these personal devices can be connected to TVs or projectors. Teachers would be expected to provide the audio and video cables (and speakers if needed) to connect their personal device to the available display and sound equipment.

- At this time, there is no formal initiative in place to upgrade existing meetinghouse audio/visual equipment on a Church-wide basis. However, we have tried to provide means for displaying digital media in a classroom setting in our meetinghouses.

I foresee that there could be many questions regarding this (as there was in my ward) and thought some initial guidance on what equipment is available and how it can be used would be helpful to you.

Thank you,

Sr. Facilities Manager
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”