New Cisco D9865

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
sphester

Re: New Cisco D9865

Post by sphester »

Well thing have been on and off in terms of recent test results had someone check last week and they said it was fine. I've come to set up and it cuts out sound and or pictures at least once every 5 minutes.

Signal quality is only 48 and signal strength is 74. The new Cisco reciever does not seem to have the same signal indicator light like the older 550 one.

Would this mean it's the dish? Or box or cable? Is there anything I could do now to try to fix it eggs re crimping cables etc.

Will move to show conference via computer.
sphester

Post by sphester »

I know little about line of site for the dishes but could trees affect it? I know rain can reduce signal strength. See my attached pictures could these trees cause an issue.
Attachments
20160402_141018.jpg
(682.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
20160402_140952.jpg
(562.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't know what is good numbers for the Cisco, but it sounds like weak signal - which could be anything. And yes, trees in the line of sight would be an issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

sphester wrote:I know little about line of site for the dishes but could trees affect it? I know rain can reduce signal strength. See my attached pictures could these trees cause an issue.
Assuming the satellite dish is on the end of the building and pointing in the direction of the trees. That could be a possibility as the satellite is quite low down on the horizon for the UK.

I checked our signal and quality numbers today, they were 70 and 60 respectively. I've installed 9 receivers over the last month and the signal quality has ranged from as low as 25 to as high as 70. Every one gave a good picture and sound. Quality is the important figure.
sphester

Post by sphester »

Can you come and sort our Biggles?

The dish is on the end of the building face those trees. About 18 months ago we had some similar issues the status light kept going red and amber on our old wagner 550 box. Back then i indicated possible tree issues the FM group had the dish lifted the cable from the dish to the receiver replaced and then the dis lowered. Can;t remember of the LMB has been replaced possibly.

I found this useful site http://www.dishpointer.com/ based on what they are saying to point the dish correctly. It has a useful obstacle checker and based on the line of trees at 18m away they would only need to be 9m tall the tree line stop about 50-60 m away from the dish and tree there would need to be 30 meter high. I doubt they are that high but the ones close could easily be hitting 9-10 meters.

Armed with the bearing and elevation info i will check the panning of the dish am tomorrow to see if it is right. although I'm wishing I had a way to calculate the tree hight but not sure i have the right gear for that then i would no for sure.

I can at least report it to the FM group sadly the dish is on the highest part of the building so unless they put a big pole on where the dish would sway in the wind it can;t go much higher and the trees aren't on our land.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sphester wrote:I know little about line of site for the dishes but could trees affect it? I know rain can reduce signal strength. See my attached pictures could these trees cause an issue.
It appears from the picture that the signal is coming right through those trees. You probably have extra problems when it is windy.

Unless your neighbor is willing to let you trim the trees, short of moving the dish, your best solution is to make certain the dish is aligned directly at the center of the box for the satellite you are using.
sphester

Post by sphester »

What's the box you refer to?

I understand it needs to point to the tel star 12e satellite based on what I could find I'm aiming for a magnetic bearing of around 197 degrees and an elevation of 27 degrees.

When I first raised the issue of trees I new it would get worse as they grow. Now it spring it is worse also due to leafs

The trees are on local council land the embankments of a old railway line now a public path so I'm sure we could trip them but it would cost loads. I can't see the FM group stumping up the money but then moving the dish is not really an option there is a location in the carpark but this is at ground level and getting the cable I to the building would likewise be costly.

I will no more tomorrow when it is dry and I can take a better look with some binoculars and other gadgets I have from work to work out bearings and elevations.

Thanks for the replies.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

To measure the height of a tree, carry out a search on google. Several quick and dirty methods are shown.
sphester

Post by sphester »

Thanks Biggles will do.

Is it it worth making the connector off again at the receiver end? It's a simple connector so can't see how it is broken.

Also are these new Cisco recevery more sensitive that the old 550 ones?

If it turns out to be tree it is going to be an interesting conversation with the FM group.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

sphester wrote:Is it it worth making the connector off again at the receiver end? It's a simple connector so can't see how it is broken.
It depends on the type of connecter used. Some are crimped, which means they can only be used once, others are just screwed on to cable. If the latter, which is unlikely, they can be refitted. Places like Maplins, or any satellite dish supplier/fitters would be able to supply something suitable.

Return to “Satellite”