Error code to pay online

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
jethro450

Re: Error code to pay online

Post by jethro450 »

Well the one couple used the spouses login and it worked. The other couple has not tried the spouse login yet so I can't report on them yet.

You guys are awesome, thanks. Is there a more direct link to some tech at church head quarters somewhere? This issue seems to be above our heads thus far and it's kind of a biggy that needs resolved. I think it's a bug in the system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:I'm curious if anyone knows why 2007 is the cutoff date. Was there a change in 2007 with how donations were recorded? Or, does the Church just not keep donation history for more than 8 years? My history also stops at 2007.
My personal guess is a IRS record-keeping requirement. I couldn't find the retention policy, but I did find that "A donor may not claim a deduction for any contribution of cash, a check, or other monetary gift made on or after Jan. 1, 2007, unless the donor maintains a record of the contribution ..."

So I don't think I'm far off.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:I'm curious if anyone knows why 2007 is the cutoff date.
I do not know, but I suspect it is the standard industry 7 years plus current year that the banking industry uses. I know that the Church financial record retention policy in the U.S. is 3 years plus current, but most other countries in the world, and banks in the U.S., are required to maintain 7 years plus current.

I believe that also is the look back period for income tax audits where fraud is not involved.

To answer your second question, I do not recall any change in 2007 with regard to how the Church recorded donations, unless that was the year CUBS was implemented. MLS was imported into the U.S. at version 2.0 from international areas in 2004. CUBS came sometime later, but I thought it was more recent than 2007.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:CUBS came sometime later, but I thought it was more recent than 2007.
The transition to CUBS happened in the fall of 2010.
jethro450

Post by jethro450 »

Is there a more direct link to some tech at church head quarters somewhere? This issue seems to be above our heads thus far and it's kind of a biggy that needs resolved. I think it's a bug in the system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jethro450 wrote:Is there a more direct link to some tech at church head quarters somewhere?
I'd have the clerk contact local unit support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:I'm curious if anyone knows why 2007 is the cutoff date.
I do not know, but I suspect it is the standard industry 7 years plus current year that the banking industry uses.
Except that 2007 makes for 8 years plus current. [smile]

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Except that 2007 makes for 8 years plus current. [smile]
There's nothing quite like having an extra can of beans in the cupboard at suppertime when the river is running high.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:There's nothing quite like having an extra can of beans in the cupboard at suppertime when the river is running high.
We'll test that theory come next year. But as I pointed out, 2007 marks a change in the rules to claim charitable donations on the tax returns.

However, keeping more information than is required is a liability if one gets hacked. Just ask CardSystems Solutions.

jethro450

Post by jethro450 »

russellhltn wrote:
jethro450 wrote:Is there a more direct link to some tech at church head quarters somewhere?
I'd have the clerk contact local unit support.
I am the ward clerk and the stake directed me here. Kinda sounding like we're at a dead end. :-(

Return to “Online Donations”