2015 Tax Statement

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: 2015 Tax Statement

Post by aebrown »

brogers wrote:We will contact that ward. The prior year they handled our donations correctly and we received from them the statement. I'm not sure how they messed up for 2015.
Are you sure they handled your donations correctly in 2014? If they sent you a tax statement at the end of the year, it's entirely possible that your donor record in their ward was not connected to your membership record back then. Wards can generate tax statements for donors regardless of whether the donor record is connected to a MRN.

You might want to generate a 2014 tax statement on the online donations page. If that statement includes your donations to that other ward, then you'll know that they processed those donations correctly. But my guess is that your donor record in that ward was never connected to your MRN, and that none of your donations to that ward will show up in the online statements. The earlier advice was sound: it is wise to have that other ward send you a 2015 tax statement AND make sure that your donor record in their ward is linked to your MRN.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

brogers wrote:My wife and I just reviewed our online official 2015 tax statements, and they don't show donations made to another ward's missionary. These donations were all made via a donation slip mailed to the ward, and my wife's membership record was included on those donations. Am I wrong to expect those donations to show up on the official 2015 tax statement?
Who's account were you logged into at the time?

You will see your wife's donations ONLY if she has given permission for you to see them in her account. Even then, they will appear on a separate page. If you haven't done so, you might want to log into her account and review the statement.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brogers

Post by brogers »

Good points. Yes I was logged into her account when I checked for 2015 tax year. I will have to check again for the official record under her name for 2014 (I'm at work now), but it now seems likely that they didn't have the donor record connected to her MRN. Will let you know.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't remember when wards could associate a MRN with a donation when the member didn't live in the ward. I know it came long after it appeared on the donation ships.

Associating the MRN with the donor is typically done when the donor record is created in the ward. Once created, all future donations will be made by picking that donor record from a list. The fact it doesn't have a MRN won't be noticed - until someone complains.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brogers

Post by brogers »

russellhltn wrote:I don't remember when wards could associate a MRN with a donation when the member didn't live in the ward. I know it came long after it appeared on the donation ships.

Associating the MRN with the donor is typically done when the donor record is created in the ward. Once created, all future donations will be made by picking that donor record from a list. The fact it doesn't have a MRN won't be noticed - until someone complains.
So in my case, the 2014 donations to missionary in another ward were apparently not done with the MRN recorded (even though we sent that with our donations once it was explicit on the donation slip), since we don't see those donations in the on-line donation history.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:I don't remember when wards could associate a MRN with a donation when the member didn't live in the ward. I know it came long after it appeared on the donation ships.
It looks like that ability was added in June 2014.
brogers wrote:So in my case, the 2014 donations to missionary in another ward were apparently not done with the MRN recorded (even though we sent that with our donations once it was explicit on the donation slip), since we don't see those donations in the on-line donation history.
So if you started donating before June in 2014, they didn't have the ability to enter the MRN and probably, as russellhtln suggested, nobody thought to add it afterwards.
kab77

Post by kab77 »

how do i get the Tax statement for donations to a different ward? I contributed to a missionary in a different ward.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kab77 wrote:how do i get the Tax statement for donations to a different ward? I contributed to a missionary in a different ward.
If that ward connected your donation to your Membership Record Number (MRN) then you can just go online to the Donations section on LDS.org and print your Official Tax Statement.

If the donations to that other ward don't appear on your tax statement, then that most likely means that that ward didn't connect their donor record for you to your MRN. You'll need to contact that ward to ask them to make that connection. It would probably be prudent to ask them to send you a tax statement as well.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:It would probably be prudent to ask them to send you a tax statement as well.
Yes, it would be prudent, since we have no idea on long it will take (or even if) for retroactive associations will show up on tax statements.

Return to “Online Donations”