Donations for Minors

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
preston.baxter

Re: Donations for Minors

Post by preston.baxter »

That would require me finding currency or coins (I think we might have a jar around here somewhere, or perhaps I should check the couch cushions) or paper checks (haven't seen those around the house for a number of years now).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

preston.baxter wrote:That would require me finding currency or coins (I think we might have a jar around here somewhere, or perhaps I should check the couch cushions) or paper checks (haven't seen those around the house for a number of years now).
It seems like it could be a good experience for the children themselves to find the currency or coins, fill out the donation slip, put it all in an envelope, and hand it to a member of the bishopric. That way they learn important lessons about tithing by actually doing.
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

It's also good experience for kids to learn cursive or diagram sentences on a chalkboard or mend a wagon wheel, but not all historical practices necessarily have application today. My preference would be for members of any age to be allowed to pay tithing online. Anyone can hunt down and use a gray envelope from church history, but only some members can use the tools of 2017?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

preston.baxter wrote:but only some members can use the tools of 2017?
There are various laws that govern on-line accounts by children. That's probably where the limitation comes from. Having parents do it does seem to circumvent having the child actually involved.

How do your children handle their money now? Do they only use plastic?

Either way, there is no one here who can make those kinds of decisions. You can use feedback on the main lds.org page, but I wouldn't expect things to change.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
preston.baxter

Post by preston.baxter »

In our family, when the kids get money (birthdays, holidays, allowance, whatever) we immediately deposit it to the bank. I help them track how much is in their savings account by showing them their balances on the bank website. When they want to buy something, they know that I go with them to the store, we make the purchase on my debit card, and then we move that money from their account into mine. We do exactly the same thing with Tithing, except that I have to submit it for them and it shows up on my statement. I feel bad about making the financial clerk transfer $1 just so it will show up correctly, so we typically just don't bother with that accounting issue. They know Tithing was paid, and so far the IRS hasn't audited me for claiming an extra $5 in donations that actually belongs to my kids.

When the bank allows, they DO get and use a debit card for their own checking account. I teach them about budgeting, bank reconciliations and statements using regular online banking tools. Until they are 18, all the accounts are set up with me as a joint owner so I can monitor their spending, and part of our regular PPI includes checking statements and reconciling.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

preston.baxter wrote:paper checks (haven't seen those around the house for a number of years now).
If you have a bill pay service you can setup of a payer under the name of the ward but with your address. The bank should send you a check made out to the ward which you (or you child) can then give to the bishopric. Not as convenient as online donations but probably workable given the current options we have.
greenlanternmcd

Post by greenlanternmcd »

My son would like to pay his Tithing, but due to the Corovavirus we are in quarantine and there are no Church services being held. I would like to have the option of paying tithing for my son who is 10 when he gives me money. Is there a way to do this?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

greenlanternmcd wrote: Is there a way to do this?
Not currently. For this situation you will have to wait until he can use the paper donation slip.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
scottporter

Post by scottporter »

Given COVID-19 pandemic, it would be better if there were another solution. We're trying to do as much online as possible, to reduce complexity for our bishopric and clerks.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

scottporter wrote:Given COVID-19 pandemic, it would be better if there were another solution. We're trying to do as much online as possible, to reduce complexity for our bishopric and clerks.
This is understandable, but there are often legal requirements that come into play with children sending money electronically. It may be something the church cannot allow and still stay within the law. Are your children able to make purchases from an online store using their bank account without parental intervention? I suspect not.

We can discuss it in this user-to-user mutual support forum, but that will not get your question to those who make the decisions to allow or not allow children to donate electronically. You can provide feedback from any church web page or ask your Stake President to raise your question in his coordinating council with the general authorities.

Even in the pandemic or other restrictions, there are options if we are willing to be flexible. You can ask your bishop for his suggestions. There are stories in church history where members saved their tithing until they could give it to the Lord's representative and I'm sure they received every blessing because the situation was out of their control and they were doing their best in their circumstances.

Return to “Online Donations”