Tithing and Donation Problems

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Tithing and Donation Problems

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:22 am

mmcastell wrote:I made a substantial donation on December 31, 2020 and it is still being processed on January 4. Only 10% of the donation was withdrawn from my bank account. I am in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

You need to get with your finance clerk, who will probably have to contact support. This is a user-to-user support forum. No one here can look into your issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

ryanleecole

Postby ryanleecole » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:31 am

Related to this, can members back-date a tithing donation? For example, if they want to the tithing to be counted as part of 2020, is that possible? If so, how?

rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Postby rmrichesjr » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:41 am

ryanleecole wrote:Related to this, can members back-date a tithing donation? For example, if they want to the tithing to be counted as part of 2020, is that possible? If so, how?

I would guess the reason for the question is for tax purposes. As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to back-date a donation. Once the ball falls (and often before, due to processing delays), it's too late.

eblood66

Postby eblood66 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:05 am

ryanleecole wrote:Related to this, can members back-date a tithing donation? For example, if they want to the tithing to be counted as part of 2020, is that possible? If so, how?

At least in the US the law mandates what year a donation is counted in. For a donation to count in 2020 it must either be submitted online prior to the end of 2020, be sent in an envelope which is postdated before the end of 2020 or is hand delivered to a member of the bishopric prior to the end of 2020. In no case can a donation be counted in the prior year if it isn't submitted in one of those ways before the end of the year.

For donations received by the bishopric (either by mail or by hand delivery) before the end of the year, the clerk can enter them in a batch for 2020 even after the end of the year. But that's only for donations received in the prior year. For online donations CHQ automatically assigns it to the right year.

Return to “Online Donations”