Tithing

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
taylorlalison1

Tithing

Post by taylorlalison1 »

My son paid his tithing on June 28. It was not taken from his account until July 5 . But because he had opened a saving account for his mission fund on July 2 there were insufficient funds for his tithing payment. He believed his tithing had already come out in the intervening week. Now he is being charged $48 as an NSF charge. Why did the church wait so long to take the money from his account? If you want people to do this online you should fix this!
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Tithing

Post by scgallafent »

Depending on the banking system, it is typically two to three business days from the time the request is submitted until the time the money is debited from his bank account. If he submitted his request late in the day on June 28, it wouldn't have started its way through the financial system until July 2, which is the first banking day after his request was submitted. (Canada Day is banking holiday.) It looks like it took about three business days for the request to work its way through, which is expected.
klricks

Re: Tithing

Post by klricks »

taylorlalison1 wrote:My son paid his tithing on June 28. It was not taken from his account until July 5 . But because he had opened a saving account for his mission fund on July 2 there were insufficient funds for his tithing payment. He believed his tithing had already come out in the intervening week. Now he is being charged $48 as an NSF charge. Why did the church wait so long to take the money from his account? If you want people to do this online you should fix this!
Talk to the bank and see if they will do a one time only fee reversal. My bank did that when I accidentally choose the wrong account to pay a bill.

This would be a good time for him to learn how to balance his accounts.
For me I use a simple spreadsheet to list and sum all my pending checks or other expenses and calculate my net balance.
Then I periodically go to on-line banking to get an updated balance and see which items have cleared and update my spreadsheet accordingly.
Assistant Ward Clerk

Return to “Online Donations”