Online tithing payment in multiple countries for tax purposes?

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
fivestar001@gmail.com

Online tithing payment in multiple countries for tax purposes?

Post by fivestar001@gmail.com »

Not sure if this is possible and haven't found it in any of the forums yet - for tax purposes, it is more clear-cut for us to be able to pay tithing in the country where income was generated (Canada) vs where we currently reside (USA). Online tithing is available in both countries, and we file taxes in both countries as well. Is there a way for us to pay tithing in this way?

Appreciate any comments/advice - thank you in advance!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Online tithing payment in multiple countries for tax purposes?

Post by sbradshaw »

As far as I know, it's currently only possible to pay tithing from the country where your ward and membership record is.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

fivestar001@gmail.com wrote:Online tithing is available in both countries, and we file taxes in both countries as well. Is there a way for us to pay tithing in this way?
The online donation system is country-specific. For example, to contribute in the U.S. you need to have a U.S. bank account. I expect it is the same way in Canada.

As far as I am aware, you can only be set up to donate in one country. When a U.S. member moves to another country, the online donation system for that member is turned off. However, the member can contact Donation Support and have online donations turned on again. If that is possible in Canada, I would think Donation Support would need to activate that feature, thereby allowing a Canadian member living in another country to continue to donate in Canada from a Canadian bank account.

If you are trying to tithe Canadian earnings in Canada and also U.S. earnings in the U.S., I do not think that is possible. You could only do one or the other. That said, if you are trying to do that, and you are married, I would think you might be able to arrange for you to donate in one country and have your wife donate in the other country. You will need to understand the tax consequences, of course, but it sounds as if you already know those requirements.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe the requirement that the bank account be in the same country as the donation is absolute.

But as to the question of if you can be active in two countries at the same time, I'd email onlinedonationsupport@churchofjesuschrist.org and ask them. I'm not aware of any that are active in two, but you can ask.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
fivestar001@gmail.com

sbradshaw wrote:As far as I know, it's currently only possible to pay tithing from the country where your ward and membership record is.
Thank you for your suggestion - that is definitely something we're considering.
fivestar001@gmail.com

lajackson wrote:
fivestar001@gmail.com wrote:Online tithing is available in both countries, and we file taxes in both countries as well. Is there a way for us to pay tithing in this way?
The online donation system is country-specific. For example, to contribute in the U.S. you need to have a U.S. bank account. I expect it is the same way in Canada.

As far as I am aware, you can only be set up to donate in one country. When a U.S. member moves to another country, the online donation system for that member is turned off. However, the member can contact Donation Support and have online donations turned on again. If that is possible in Canada, I would think Donation Support would need to activate that feature, thereby allowing a Canadian member living in another country to continue to donate in Canada from a Canadian bank account.

If you are trying to tithe Canadian earnings in Canada and also U.S. earnings in the U.S., I do not think that is possible. You could only do one or the other. That said, if you are trying to do that, and you are married, I would think you might be able to arrange for you to donate in one country and have your wife donate in the other country. You will need to understand the tax consequences, of course, but it sounds as if you already know those requirements.
Thank you - my wife and I were considering this option too. However that would mean having to transfer my wife's record back to our ward in Canada in order for her online tithing ability to be enabled (per sbradshaw's post above mentions), right? That might pose challenges with the holding of callings in our US unit...

Appreciate your input on this!
fivestar001@gmail.com

russellhltn wrote:I believe the requirement that the bank account be in the same country as the donation is absolute.

But as to the question of if you can be active in two countries at the same time, I'd email onlinedonationsupport@churchofjesuschrist.org and ask them. I'm not aware of any that are active in two, but you can ask.
Having bank accounts won't be a problem, but I'm definitely going to reach out to onlinedonationsupport@churchofjesuschrist.org to get their input. If even just to have them activate my status in both Canada and the US, that would be a good place to start!

Thank you!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

fivestar001@gmail.com wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:As far as I know, it's currently only possible to pay tithing from the country where your ward and membership record is.
Thank you for your suggestion - that is definitely something we're considering.
From the Handbook 33.6:
Membership records are to be kept in the ward where the member lives. Exceptions, which should be few, require the consent of the bishops and stake president(s) involved and the approval of the Office of the First Presidency.

When a person moves from a ward for more than three months, a clerk moves the membership record to the new ward. As an exception, the record is not moved if the member intends to return after leaving for temporary or seasonal employment purposes that may last longer than three months.

When a person moves from the ward for less than three months and plans to return, the membership record is kept in the home ward. The home ward also maintains the member’s financial records.
Bottom line, I would not mess with the location of your records as a way to use online donations.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

fivestar001@gmail.com wrote:However that would mean having to transfer my wife's record back to our ward in Canada in order for her online tithing ability to be enabled (per sbradshaw's post above mentions), right?
As others have mentioned, keep your membership records where you are living and serving. By default, online donation works in the country where your membership records are located. That is why your Canadian capability went away. What the donation supports folks can do is turn it on for you when your records are in a different country than where you have been donating so that you are able to continue to donate in your home country.

I know it happens all the time when a U.S. member moves to another country (military is a common reason). Online donation access goes away. Donation support turns it back on. Member in another country is able to continue to donate from a U.S. bank in the U.S.

I see no reason that could not happen (technically) when, for example, a Canadian member moves to another country (U.S.). Canadian online donation access goes away. Hopefully donation support can turn it back on. Member in U.S. is able to continue to donate from a Canadian bank in Canada.

I think the only real question is whether a member can have two different donating countries (I do not believe so, but email them and ask), or if you are going to have to split the donation between spouses.

Right now, both of you should be able to donate in the U.S. because your membership records are here. Both records should stay here where you are living. Only one of you will need to have donation support change your account so you can donate in Canada again. The other one of you will be able to just keep on donating in the U.S. for both of you.

Return to “Online Donations”