GSuite Non-Profit Account?

Using Google Meet, Zoom, etc.)
drepouille
Senior Member
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Plattsmouth, NE
Contact:

Re: GSuite Non-Profit Account?

Postby drepouille » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:49 am

nathansharp wrote:Did you create your meeting using a GSuite account or your personal Google account? According to several official sources, a person without a Google account should be able to join a meeting created with a GSuite account.

Yes, I create all Google Meetings using my GSuite account, which is why I was amazed when someone told me they had to create a Google account to join my meeting. I read the same documentation that you did, which said that anyone can join a Google Meeting created by a GSuite account. In fact, the person who told me he had to create a Google account was indeed able to connect to our first meeting event on July 12th, but was denied access two weeks later, until he created a Google account. That makes no sense at all, but at least he is happy now.

Also, all my Sacrament meeting events are clones -- they use exactly the same URL and phone number, so I don't have to send out confusing messages with different connect information for each meeting. That really confuses everyone who is accustomed to receiving different connection information for Zoom or Webex meetings. When they ask me (one minute before Sacrament meeting begins) to send them the invitation, I tell them to use the same link they used for the previous meeting.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

nathansharp
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:10 pm

Re: GSuite Non-Profit Account?

Postby nathansharp » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:33 am

Thanks Dana for confirming.

Anyone else have any other experience being able to join a Google Meet without a Google Account?

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5050
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Re: GSuite Non-Profit Account?

Postby sbradshaw » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:54 am

This is the relevant page:
https://support.google.com/meet/answer/9303069

In the last section, "Join a video meeting without a Google Account," there are two caveats:
1. To join the meeting, the "meeting organizer or someone from the organization must grant you access to the meeting." I take this to mean the person who owns the GSuite account, not just anyone on the meeting, has to manually let the person in each week.
2. "If you are not signed into a Google or Gmail account, you cannot join using your mobile device." If you don't have a Google account, you need to join from a desktop or laptop computer.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

nathansharp
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:10 pm

Re: GSuite Non-Profit Account?

Postby nathansharp » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:34 am

sbradshaw wrote:This is the relevant page:
https://support.google.com/meet/answer/9303069

In the last section, "Join a video meeting without a Google Account," there are two caveats:
1. To join the meeting, the "meeting organizer or someone from the organization must grant you access to the meeting." I take this to mean the person who owns the GSuite account, not just anyone on the meeting, has to manually let the person in each week.
2. "If you are not signed into a Google or Gmail account, you cannot join using your mobile device." If you don't have a Google account, you need to join from a desktop or laptop computer.


Thanks Samuel, that is how I read it, too. My testing has consisted of creating meetings with my GSuite account, starting that meeting on my phone or computer A, then trying to join from Computer B without being logged in to a Google Account. Each time I try to join from Computer B, it prompts me to login to a Google Account.

Here is another source (bolded applicable part):

From https://apps.google.com/meet/ Top Questions:

Can external participants Join a call?
Absolutely. For the free version of Google Meet, all participants will need to be signed into a Google Account to join. You can create a Google Account with a work or personal email address.

For G Suite customers, once you’ve created a meeting, you can invite anyone to join even if they don’t have a Google Account. Just share the link or meeting ID with all meeting participants.

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5050
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Re: GSuite Non-Profit Account?

Postby sbradshaw » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:49 am

nathansharp wrote:Thanks Samuel, that is how I read it, too. My testing has consisted of creating meetings with my GSuite account, starting that meeting on my phone or computer A, then trying to join from Computer B without being logged in to a Google Account. Each time I try to join from Computer B, it prompts me to login to a Google Account.

Does your Computer B have any Google Accounts associated with it? Maybe if Google sees a Google cookie that shows you have an account, even when not signed in, it prompts you to sign in to use that account – but if you use a different browser that's never been signed in to Google, or clear cookies, it doesn't? (I haven't used GSuite or Google Meet myself, so it could be something else.)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

nathansharp
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:10 pm

Re: GSuite Non-Profit Account?

Postby nathansharp » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:03 am

sbradshaw wrote:
nathansharp wrote:Thanks Samuel, that is how I read it, too. My testing has consisted of creating meetings with my GSuite account, starting that meeting on my phone or computer A, then trying to join from Computer B without being logged in to a Google Account. Each time I try to join from Computer B, it prompts me to login to a Google Account.

Does your Computer B have any Google Accounts associated with it? Maybe if Google sees a Google cookie that shows you have an account, even when not signed in, it prompts you to sign in to use that account – but if you use a different browser that's never been signed in to Google, or clear cookies, it doesn't? (I haven't used GSuite or Google Meet myself, so it could be something else.)


On computer B, I have tried Google Chrome (regular and incognito). Chrome does have google accounts associated with it. I'll have to try clearing cache, etc. But using an incognito window should have the same effect.

From here: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/help/support/bc/MHTech/2020/MeetGuide.pdf
If all else fails, they should join using an incognito browser window.


Return to “Interactive Virtual Meetings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest