Instructions to Ward members on using breakout rooms for multiple classes in second hour meetings

Using Google Meet, Zoom, etc.)
wrigjef

Re: Instructions to Ward members on using breakout rooms for multiple classes in second hour meetings

Post by wrigjef »

We have one url/meeting ID/password for everything. Members go in then select the appropriate breakout room. This is likened to a church building. A few of us have keys to the building (admin accounts) once the building is open, members can enter the “foyer” then select choose a breakout room or be directed to one if they don’t know where to go (or if a meeting in that room is over) I haven’t been on the admin side since the breakout rooms were set up but I don’t think they are set up each week since there are many, including specific interview rooms and even a clerks office. Here is our link wit( the meeting I’d and password embedded

https://zoom.us/j/93436637238?pwd=UFJMV ... BBT3JhUT09

Our leaders decided to do our second hour meetings before first hour with a break in between, partly because we have partially returned to in person Sacrament. First hour is at 10:00 ET and just finished. Sacrament meeting is at 11:30 ET and since everyone is going into the same room the link takes everyone straight into the meeting.

Like the sign on the outside of the real building says, visitors are welcome.
wrigjef

Re: Instructions to Ward members on using breakout rooms for multiple classes in second hour meetings

Post by wrigjef »

wilcocka wrote:This is helpful. Do you need to set up these Breakout Rooms each week? Or can you set them up once, and the settings perpetuate from then on?
I haven’t served as admin for Sunday meetings, a member of the bishopric does that, but I have a difficult time believing that they set up 30 rooms each Sunday. I will check the link during the week, you are welcome as well https://zoom.us/j/93436637238?pwd=UFJMV ... BBT3JhUT09
shawndowler wrote:
SingerGuy wrote:
bluscoot wrote:
When you are setting up your meeting as recurring (i.e. the 1st & 3rd Sunday of every month, which is tricky to do in Zoom, but it can be done!), you can pre-set the number of breakout rooms and name each one (Gospel Doctrine, Youth 11-12, Youth 13-14, Youth 15-17) so that they are already there when the Zoom meeting starts each week.
I looked at this for our Ward, but then we would have one URL for 1st and 3rd weeks and another URL for 2nd and 4th weeks. Talking with my Bishop we opted for the method that was much harder for me (one guy) and much easier for the entire ward by having one URL regardless of what week of the month it was. I just take the extra time to establish the rooms before people start showing up, and I don't let them join until 5 minutes before the meeting start time. I guess it is just a matter of preference. There's not a right or a wrong here that I can see. Just different styles and approaches.
I am instructing wards in my stake to create the unused rooms and just leave them unused when they are not needed. In other words create Gospel Doctrine, Relief Society, and Elders Quorum in the recurring meeting every week and just don't join Gospel Doctrine when it's not the week we have Sunday School. This is because I'm trying to give instructions so it will be easiest for each ward to run as well as for participants. The less that changes from week to week the better. If I could run it myself in each ward, I would probably opt to do it the way you are, except I would create all the possible meeting rooms and just delete the ones I don't need after joining the meeting rather than creating them from scratch each week.

Thank you for the Windows and Android instructions for participants. I don't have an Android device, so this helps a lot.
I haven’t served as administrator for Sunday meetings, a member of the bishopric does that, however I have a difficult time believing that someone takes the time to set up 30 rooms each week. I will cheeck the link during the week you are welcome as well.

Attachments
1C52DFF8-B6C6-4DEE-9C0F-A6A468992357.png
(391.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
6B5F0CED-9E37-4FFB-97B1-C298113471CC.png
(399.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
A088DCF0-7FC3-4BD4-AF12-3C9ED73B4649.png
(407.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
BB2AB6E0-BE0B-4C37-8EA5-5E97A906E069.png
(402.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Thought about that to but as long as the standard calling in LCR is for Gospel Doctrine, we are leaving it. I will use the submit feedback link to ask about a change though.
SingerGuy

Post by SingerGuy »

I had a friend with a Macintosh and an iPhone take screenshots from those devices and we added them to my instruction document. Here is the revised instructions that now cover Widows, Apple, and Android users.
Attachments
Joining Zoom Breakout Rooms 2.pdf
(592.28 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

Return to “Interactive Virtual Meetings”