Ipad Mini's for Missionaries

Seen something newsworthy about the technology that the Church uses? Let everyone else know by posting here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Ipad Mini's for Missionaries

Post by russellhltn »

mrrad wrote:Oh, so do we know for sure they're going to have cellular hardware and data plans? Then $400 would represent a huge non-Apple-like discount and the church would be paying for a lot of data plans.
Are we sure $400 is the price the church pays? We've heard that's the price the missionary pays, but that's not the same thing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Actually, I take back what I said about it probably being cellular. It's possible they're cellular, but I don't know where I was looking before – it said the price for a non-cellular iPad mini was $299, and cellular $399, or something like that – but I don't think that's accurate. iPad mini with cellular is more than $400, plus the monthly data.

It would probably make more sense for them to be Wi-Fi iPad minis, tethered to a phone with cellular data.

Showing videos is, I'm sure, one of the reasons why a bigger screen is required. Not to mention – could you imagine using such a small screen for a full-featured area book?

Also, the most recent versions of iOS have pretty good theft-deterrent systems (not perfect, but much better than before).
dhfarley

Post by dhfarley »

My son is currently serving in a Ipad area. The missionaries do use them for showing video to teach. They were told that Iphones were coming also, but haven't heard much about that lately.
davidmarmolejo

Post by davidmarmolejo »

Please stop questionng the church, they dont make random desicions ,and yes i have seen that technology and makes perfect cents ..... I have a ipad and actually feel a ipad mini would have been more practical.

BTW . i have used my ipad teaching with the missionaries and its great. actually i have a picture of it . i will try to post it :)
loganzezima

Post by loganzezima »

I was one of the Elders that piloted these iPads. I've gone home since, but originally the Church gave us the iPads. They chose iPad mini for looks and ease of carrying around. It has no cellular capability but it does have WiFi.

To read more, visit http://ldsliving.com/story/74495-qa-wit ... missionary
davidmarmolejo

Post by davidmarmolejo »

Thanx Elder and welcome home :)
justinpaulhammond

Post by justinpaulhammond »

We have the original iPad minis wifi version only. We will eventually be buying our own.
brimik

Post by brimik »

How can we get the application?
-mission planners
-etc ( everything ?)
Bhesh

Post by Bhesh »

Being a missionary in the Gilbert AZ mission, where we were promised iPads almost 16 months ago (heheh), I am very interested in just what is going to happen...we really haven't been told anything at all. I would love to know what kind of things we can and can't do on our iPads...like could I jailbreak it so I can open up Apples crappy locked down iOS.

So if there are any updates I would really love to hear about them.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Hopefully the delay in implementing the solution is to include an android option so missionaries could choose devices that are a few hundred dollars cheaper rather than a premium product.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “In The News”