Ipad..tag and highlight studying Come Follow Me

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Ipad..tag and highlight studying Come Follow Me

Post by sbradshaw »

dhsmith1 wrote:I have the same problem on my iPad. When I connect to the scripture links in Come Follow Me, I can’t highlight or use the other study features. This is a major drawback of the new study program and SS curriculum. Have there been any solutions or new updates on this issue?
Are you using the Gospel Library mobile app?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I have had some strange issues with Safari on a Mac (see this post). It wasn't quite the same thing as you are reporting, but it could be related.

Is the "copy" option coming from the web browser's native copy ability, or is it the church's menu popping up and the only available option is Copy?
dhsmith1

Post by dhsmith1 »

Thanks for your response sbradshaw. Yes, I am using the Gospel Library mobile app. When I am signed into the app on my iPad, if I go directly to the scriptures section and to a specific scripture, then I have no problem being able to highlight, copy, link, etc. However, if I go into the Sunday School section and then into the Come Follow Me - for individuals and families and open up the scriptures which are hyperlinked in the readings, then if I select a phrase in the scriptures it gives me the option to copy, but not the option to highlight, link, etc. As I am doing the Come Follow Me program this year both in my own study and in SS class on Sundays, it would be really nice to be able to highlight, link, annotate, etc. my digital scriptures as meaningful comments are made, thoughts come to me, etc.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Sounds like a content issue. Not all content in GL is formatted such that it can support the full range of markings. The fact it works in one area but not the other is the tip-off.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

dhsmith1 wrote:Thanks for your response sbradshaw. Yes, I am using the Gospel Library mobile app. When I am signed into the app on my iPad, if I go directly to the scriptures section and to a specific scripture, then I have no problem being able to highlight, copy, link, etc. However, if I go into the Sunday School section and then into the Come Follow Me - for individuals and families and open up the scriptures which are hyperlinked in the readings, then if I select a phrase in the scriptures it gives me the option to copy, but not the option to highlight, link, etc. As I am doing the Come Follow Me program this year both in my own study and in SS class on Sundays, it would be really nice to be able to highlight, link, annotate, etc. my digital scriptures as meaningful comments are made, thoughts come to me, etc.
When you click a link to the scriptures from Come, Follow Me (or another place), the content will open in the sidebar on the right. I'm guessing that's where you're trying to bring up the annotation tools. The sidebar only provides a preview – it doesn't allow you to annotate. However, at the top of the content snippet in the sidebar, you'll see a scripture reference link (in the default theme, the link is orange). Clicking that link will take you out of the sidebar to the full view of the chapter, where you can highlight and annotate.
dhsmith1

Post by dhsmith1 »

Thanks to both of you for your responses. You are right on - I am able to do all the annotations when I switch to the full scripture view but not when I am in the sidebar “preview” mode as you said. The challenge is, both in my personal study but especially in class, to flip back and forth between the full screen mode and the study/preview mode to make annotations and keep up with the class, etc. In order to encourage members to really personalize their studies, do you know if there are any plans to format the preview mode in Gospel Library to allow for annotating in a more functional manner?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm not sure, but I'd recommend sending feedback using the "Send Feedback" option in Settings – the support team keeps track of common feature requests. I agree that it could be useful to allow full annotating in the sidebar.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”