Church website -- Notes Tool not showing up

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
ljosbon

Re: Church website -- Notes Tool not showing up

Post by ljosbon »

Hello. I had this same issue as you can see in the earlier threads. What happened in my case was somehow there was a character or something that threw the desktop system off. If I recall correctly I was informed of the "older" notes system for the desktop and someone provided me that link. I will provide it here too for you to try. The old system worked and what I did was copy my entries and paste them in a One Note (Microsoft One Note -- great program by the way) page so I could archive them and copy and paste them back. You could use a Word Processor or other means to copy your notes if you don't use One Note. Anyway, I then began to delete entries using the old notebook system until I was able to eliminate whatever offending code or character caused the behavior in the new current system. I then carefully pasted back my entries in the new or current system. I have not had any issues since. I hope my suggestions help. To access the older system go here (also known as Classic Notes Section) --

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng

I hope this might help :)
cabailey

Post by cabailey »

@ljosbon Thank you for your post. I did see that you had done this. I had previously dismissed this as something that would no longer work because when I tried the link in the earlier post and the same one you just provided to the old notes application, I got a webpage not found message. However, I thought I'd try it again. I did get to the old notes and journal application. I have been using this long enough that I remember that old look. However, it does not populate with any notes. It is empty. I tried clearing cache and cookies and logging out and back in. But still, it is empty. That was a little disconcerting until I checked the Android Gospel Library Notes and I still have access to all my notes and journal entries there. I appreciate you trying to help me. But something is jamming the desktop system for me and notes aren't showing up in either the old or new applications.
ljosbon

Post by ljosbon »

@caballey I am sorry that did not work. I too went to the old Classic Journal site and it also does not show any of my notebooks like it did before. I am thinking if you could copy your notes from the Android app and paste them somewhere where you have them and can copy and paste them later on to your desktop, that would be an important archive step. Then, if you can delete from the desktop your entries and try to reload that might work. It could be tedious though. In my case there was a character or something that caused the malfunction and once it was removed, everything worked again like it should. This is perplexing...
McLaughlinES

Post by McLaughlinES »

I too have entered many notes containing my thoughts into my scriptures. About 2 weeks ago they disappeared. On the computer all I get is the highlighted scripture with no note showing up. On my Ipad I get a note icon to the right and when I click on it it lists the date I entered the note but the note is gone. It's like someone went thru my physical scriptures and erased all of the side notes I have written over the years.
ljosbon

Post by ljosbon »

@McLaughlinEs I wish I could offer some help. I do know that from time to time the scripture tools have had changes with some bugs but usually things do get fixed. I suggestion might be to make a screen image of the points you raise that are not working and if you have an instance where it did work also. Sometimes, using graphical description can help the other more tech-savvy hosts and guests to this forum realize there is an issue and maybe provide some good steps to a workaround or solution until the problem is truly fixed. I hope you're able to get your notes back and the problem resolved.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

McLaughlinES wrote:I too have entered many notes containing my thoughts into my scriptures. About 2 weeks ago they disappeared. On the computer all I get is the highlighted scripture with no note showing up. On my Ipad I get a note icon to the right and when I click on it it lists the date I entered the note but the note is gone. It's like someone went thru my physical scriptures and erased all of the side notes I have written over the years.
Have you tried force-closing and reopening Gospel Library on your iPad, to see if that fixes it? (To force close an app, go to the app switcher and swipe the app out of the recent apps.)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
dfechser

Post by dfechser »

I am having this same problem now.

I have four notebooks on my android phone but only two show up on the website. I have tried syncing without success and the missing notebooks are old - one is a few weeks old while the other is several months old.

I've actually had this problem for years and it is one of the reasons I only have so few notebooks.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

dfechser wrote:I am having this same problem now.

I have four notebooks on my android phone but only two show up on the website. I have tried syncing without success and the missing notebooks are old - one is a few weeks old while the other is several months old.

I've actually had this problem for years and it is one of the reasons I only have so few notebooks.
Are you signed in with the same Church Account on both the website and in Android Gospel Library?
Do you have any sync errors listed under your username in Gospel Library settings?
If you create a highlight online, does it sync down to Gospel Library, or vice versa (i.e. is the problem limited to notebooks)?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
dfechser

Post by dfechser »

Thank you!
I re-entered my PW and sync'd and now I see everything in both places. It seems there was a sync error.
I've been downloading magazines and manuals with no problem so never checked syncs. I didn't realize sync could be broken by itself.

Thanks for your help!

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”